18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here in USA I found 2001 B5 with Side Curtain Air Bag

It was on the V6 Model .

I want a 2001 1,8 :)

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I have a 2001 and used my side curtain airbag in March. They work great. :shock:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I have a 1999 Passat and it has side airbags.

·
Registered
25 Posts
impact!

How did it feel? I've seen in-person demonstrations of airbags going off, and it sounded like a shotgun going off. Of course, I'm sure you're not thinking about that when it actually goes off: "Hmm, this is kinda pillowy! Oh wait, my car's busted!" :shock:

Any service tech that works on these things should see at least one go off. Anybody that you know that likes to sit too close to the steering wheel should also see one go off (thank goodness grandma isnt' driving anymore). If you're too close, the excess pressure is going to go somewhere. Since the wheel isn't going to move, and the seat isn't going to move much, that leaves the driver's soft, squishy interior. Not good.

Also, to contribute to this actual post, my '98 has the in-seat side-impact airbags as well as the frontal airbags.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Side Airbags <> Side Curtain Air Bags

Side airbags (those in the seat) are meant to protect your torso.

Side Curtain Air Bags (those that deploy from the A-Pillar in your B5.5) are meant to protect your noggin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that some of the late B5 , in 2001 had side air bags .

I saw that the 2001 V6 had it , it was not a b5.5 and it was in USA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
wilee
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing