Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to see what people have there passat to give me an idea of what I can get

PLEASE GIVE INFO ON THE RACK AND SETUP(where you got it and cost)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have Yakima crossbars with a Thule Expedition Basket on my wagon. I think it looks pretty good, just need to get a fairing.

Full cost was probably like $300 bucks. I got the feet and crossbars as a graduation gift from my father, and I bought the basket used for $100 off craigslist.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
This took me 5 days to complete this custom solid wood roof rack:

Wood: Red Oak
Stain: Minwax English Chesnut (2 coats with 24hrs in between coats)
Finish: Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane with UV and Extreme Climate Protection (3 coats with 24 hrs in between coats)
Hardware: Stainless Steel Wingnuts, Wood Screws, and Washers. Thule Square Head T-Bolts.

Prepping the wood (fine sanding and conditioning), applying the stain, and UV/Outdoor Polyurethane coat on the pieces of wood took 5 days, but putting it all together took about 30 minutes. It is extremely solid and looks great! I couldn't capture the color with my iPhone, but it looks much better in person. It's sitting on OEM VW base bars.

Wood Rack: Just under $80 plus labor
OEM Base Bars: $100 used

TOTAL - $180

Reactions: Bdubskii

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
only picture i can find of my rack setup, this was 4 years ago but i havent changed it, just the car it was mounted to changed. votex cross bars painted black and a land rover basket cant remember the cost but it was pretty cheap back then.

heres another one

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only picture i can find of my rack setup, this was 4 years ago but i havent changed it, just the car it was mounted to changed. votex cross bars painted black and a land rover basket cant remember the cost but it was pretty cheap back then.

What's the black car??? Is that a Audi????

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
2000 black magic passat 1.8T FWD 2871

The engine and rear axle/beam are both in my 99 B5 also pictured with that rack above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just cause its a passat forum doesn't mean that some Audi a4 won't come lurking.........

BUT KEEP POSTING THEM RACKS

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I tried to help.

I gogoled racks but the sites were blocked at work.

I'll continue searching after my fiance goes to bed tonight.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Fookie - that red oak setup looks great - I would like to install something similar on my base rack system! When I first got it, I kept the bars on all the time, but now I just put them on when I need them, it only takes a few min, and that way I save a couple mpg in 99% of my driving.

I can't find a pic right now (will look later at home), but I have the base VW system on my sedan that I got around 2005/6 for about $160 from a dealer.

Good luck OP! The roof rack is something that I have not used a ton, but has been very handy to haul kayaks and long lumber in several instances.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Craigslist is a great place to find racks (both kinds ;))

While I don't use my basket/crossbars all the time, there have been quite a few instances where they have come in handy and I was like "wow good thing i have that!" plus i like the look

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
A few pics of my Thule setup. Have had the same cross bars since 1990. Just keep getting new feet for my vehicles.

Feb 2000

Fall 2004

Fall 2003

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
OEM Votex. Before I gave back the wheels and wrapped the roof in vinyl

Reactions: chefro
1 - 20 of 34 Posts