Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at installing some aftermarket gauges- Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges. Can you post pictures of you gauges so I can get an idea of what's available? Any suggestions would be great! I'm looking at the pros and cons gauges and also looking for the ideal gauge locations- on steering column or on the pillar. Will installation on the pillar interfere with the side air bag?

Thanks,

·
Registered
79 Posts
you cant install on the a pillar unless you want gauges flying at you in a collision. I notice either on the steering column or under radio is best locations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hopefully img pops up alright. Yeah with the airbag in that pillar it's really unpleasant to do pillar gauges. Not impossible, just unsafe if it deploys.
I elected to get steering column pod. I bought left side single from ECS, but the gauge is glowshift. There's a lot more high quality gauges, but glowshift was affordable. I didn't attach dimmer wire, so it it is brighter than my others, but it doesn't bother me personally.

I just didn't want to drill for pod, and the column pod sticks to top of oem with two sided tape. Easy and removable. To each their own!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice set up. I am leaning toward the dual gauges on the column, Oil Pressure and Boost. I am also leaning towards an electric oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i wanted a set up like 3 bar has above with glowshift guages. I just ordered the single din triple gauge pod and hope it fits. i should know by next week, its at the mechanic. I have have volt, boost, and oil pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to go with the Glow Shift Oil Pressure gauges but I need advice on the boost gauges.

Are boost gauges all hook up via the vacuum line or are there others? What are the benefits? Also, there are boost gauges with 35 psi, 60, psi and 100 psi. Which would would be be okay with? My engine is stock with no performance chip.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I recommend a steering column pod such as this:

NewSouth MK4 Center Column Pod
(you can use 3M double sided foam tape to adhere to top of steering column)

and this VDO boost gauge:
VDO Boost Gauge

then run this inline with the vacuum line to reduce boost gauge needle flutter (basically in high boost, the gauge is so sensitive that it picks up the oscillations of the air in the intake and causes the needle to rattle):
Dorman - Autograde 3/16 In. Hard Vacuum Tubing Connector Restrictor 493-021: Advance Auto Parts
You want a VACUUM RESTRICTOR. This will have a metal piece built into the connector that has a small hole versus the size of the vacuum hose you'll be using. You can get these in the vacuum connector section at Advance Auto for like $2.

Basically, having a boost gauge tells you a few things:
1. The health of your turbo
2. Whether or not you have a boost or vacuum leak
3. Provides you a better understanding of when you go into boost and are in vacuum.

You want a boost gauge with vacuum and boost readings. You only need a gauge that reads down to 25 mm Hg and up to 25 psi. You'll never surpass 25 on a stock (or tuned) motor with a K03.

I'm not a stickler for the oil pressure one as others might be. It's a good piece of mind gauge, however, if you change the oil at the recommended intervals with the right synthetic weight, and filter and have for the life of the car, you'll have nothing to worry about. I can't justify $100 worth of gauges, senders, and mounts for an oil pressure reading when my car is upwards of 244k and exhibits no issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Basically, having a boost gauge tells you a few things:
1. The health of your turbo
2. Whether or not you have a boost or vacuum leak
3. Provides you a better understanding of when you go into boost and are in vacuum.

You want a boost gauge with vacuum and boost readings. You only need a gauge that reads down to 25 mm Hg and up to 25 psi. You'll never surpass 25 on a stock (or tuned) motor with a K03.
This^^^ 2nded
VDo I've heard good things about.

For mine I just tapped into vaccuum line at manifold and have had great readings. I went with vaccuum/boost also, nice combo to keep an eye on things. Considering I only have 30k miles on this engine, I'd imagine it's accurate: ~10psi apex, 20inHg at speed stock. So don't get a gauge with a wide range and waste money. 25-25 is perfect for a k03

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like the full sweep function and the matching colors of the gauges however my oil pressure guage as well as others noted from my friends at Apex tuning have noticed that the oil pressure guage reads low.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
... Newsouth gauges for a mk4 Jetta/Golf
I really like the look of a triple gauge set. I would need to replace my CD player with a wayback-mounted changer to free up that shelf space again, but it might be worth it.

You are going to hate me for this, but I did the same thing on my 1976 Ford Pinto wagon, which came with the ultimate ENGINE idiot light which was triggered by the high coolant temperature sensor switch in parallel with the low oil pressure switch. I installed a 3-pack of oil pressure, temperature, and amps (yes, volts would be better in several ways, but that was the fashion back then) over a blank space between the HVAC controls and the center console cubby. They looked great and worked great.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
Has anyone messed with the instrument cluster itself? My 1996 Audi A4 has the usual four gauges in the center, but it also has oil temperature (why not pressure?) and volts, the same size as the coolant temp and fuel level gauges, in the lower left and right corners. Younger son's 2000 S4 has the same setup, to which he has added a center vent vacuum/boost gauge, but elder son's 2002 A4 has just the four central gauges.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You may not need it. On a different note i bought the sandwhich adapter with the glowshift oil pressure gauge and my mechanic didnt use it cause it wouldnt fit with my extra large oil filter. He said it was a very tight fit so maybe the relocation kit might have helped!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've read a few post about the sandwich adapter and I would want to stay away from this. I read another post that someone posted that had another option for the relocation kit but I forgot to bookmark it and now I cannot find the post.

·
Registered
374 Posts
do NOT use the new south gauge pod.. it fits like poop, even with 3M tape, it doesn't sit right at all...

I bought an autometer dual gauge pod and it slides right on and locks into place and doesn't move and sits flush without ANY tape.

I would've done gauges in the center of the dash too but I have a double din radio instead

Podi gauges are baller but the boost gauge sender was blah.. had to swap it out under warranty but been fine since

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just received the 42DD relocation kit. I want to make sure that the brass adaptor screws in the end of the black tube. It gets tight with only a few turns and I don't want to force it.

Attachments

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
you cant install on the a pillar unless you want gauges flying at you in a collision. I notice either on the steering column or under radio is best locations.
They're not going to fly at you. The airbag exits along the vertical seam at the edge, and the A pillar plastic trim stays in place (though disturbed).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts