Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Should the Constitution be Ammended to allow for foreign born citizens to be President?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From USA Today:
Should the Constitution be amended for Arnold?

More to the point, should foreign born citizens be allowed to take the office of the President or Vice-President? Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution states, "No person except a natural born citizen ... shall be eligible to the office of president." The 12th Amendment says the vice president cannot be foreign-born.

So, should this part of the Consititution be ammended?

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I vote............ :thumbdow:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
What the fark do you have against furiners? Care to esplain? Now I am retired I was tinkin to maybe ran for dubya's job. An why not? Man, US prez with name like Boris. Sounds good to me.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
I think that a person has a stronger attatchment/loyalty/patriotism to the country in which they are born. If I were to become a citizen of another country, I would always look back to America as my homeland. I'm sure there are many foreigners who embrace America as their home, but I think that being a native is an important qualification for President.

No.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
JamesBondage said:
I think a law needs to be made that keeps foreign first ladies with obnoxious accents out of the whitehouse.
I agree....good thing we dodged that bullet this year :D

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
What do you think about US citizens (officials&politicians) becoming highly ranked politicians, ministers and even presidents in other countries that their parents or grandparents (or even grangrandparents) left(and they themselves never lived in)?Should US Government allow them to accept it?

P.S.
It is actually happening in quite few puppet new countries in EU and Ex USSR.

Why people think that Terminator is good enough for California and not for the rest of the country?

No provocations, just trying to understand line of thinking or reasons behind yes/no opinion

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Nenad said:
Why people think that Terminator is good enough for California and not for the rest of the country?

No provocations, just trying to understand line of thinking or reasons behind yes/no opinion
I don't think he is good enough for California.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
HalfGreek said:
Nenad said:

I don't think he is good enough for California.
:D Not he personaly, but people that were not born in US. constitution is allowing that but not to be Pres.,why?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Nope, sorry. Can't support such a change. Heck, I don't even like it when an athelete switches countries for the Olympics!

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nenad said:
What do you think about US citizens (officials&politicians) becoming highly ranked politicians, ministers and even presidents in other countries that their parents or grandparents (or even grangrandparents) left(and they themselves never lived in)?Should US Government allow them to accept it?
I can't think of a single one that is permanent. When setting up a new government there will always be an interim appointment. Whenever possible, the U.S. most certainly uses persons they favor in these appointments. However, once more established, free elections are held. It's up to that country's Constitution as to whether they allow it or not.

You referenced the EU and Ex-USSR...you wouldn't be thinking about current events in the Ukraine would you?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
J-RAD said:
You referenced the EU and Ex-USSR...you wouldn't be thinking about current events in the Ukraine would you?
For now I did not, they do not have at the moment that intention.

But, intriguing is that no-one wants to give reason why shouldn't someone born in other country be valid for #1 place in US, what if person was brought 6months or 1 year old to US and after 50-60 years he wants to run for pres.

Example: I would find it very strange if there would be such referendum of public poll "can person born in other country become US president?" you would have paradox situation that all people even those that are not contributing "properly" to the country (but born) or very young people that did not have time to contribute to the country would wote against 50-60 years old person that is 59 years living and contributing to the US and obviously succesfully (as long as his party have him highly ranked and he have money and influence to run for presidency). To me it is at most strange.

If you can have Secretary of State born in the other country (Miss. Ex Secretary) and this is in hierarchy 2nd person, why not 1st??

1 - 20 of 40 Posts