Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No joke, I was offered $15K for my Passat today. I love the car, could use a lot more power. Heading over to Iraq in a month for 7 months and will have quite a bit saved up, especially if there are no car payments. Yea or Nay? :???:

Bob

·
Registered
732 Posts
Bob,

How about selling it, putting the money in an interest bearing account and then building another nice car when you get home? That way instead of putting money out you have it coming in, and your car is not depreciating while you're gone and you're not paying the insurance.

Here's hoping you come back safely!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
DUDE

YOU JUST GOT IT!

The Duke wouldn't be happy changing hands so many times in a year.

But, yeah. Sell it. You're going to have an ass ton of money when you get back. Buy something that has good initial build quality, but has more potential.

Good luck!

-steven

·
Registered
436 Posts
Here is my honest opinion with a little help from a friend. My buddy just left for a second tour in Iraq, he sold his car because he couldnt use if for a year and it would just depreciate and he would keep paying for it but get no use. It would sit around in a motor pool getting minimal care and not running much except for when a friend would go take it around the lot for a few minutes. Save the money up when you are over there and put it towards a new car when you get back. The next model line may be out by then too...plus once the new models out your cars value will :thumbdow: :thumbdow:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree with the posts above. Your B5 is a very special and unique ride and I am sure that it has sentimental value for you, its previous owner and others on this forum. However, from a purley economic perspective, you will come out ahead if you sell it now, put the money in an interst bearing account and avoid car payments while you are out of the country.

Be safe over there!

Slider.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW, pretty stong conscences (sp) here. I'm leaning towards it as well. Now my wife wanted me to clear it up that the car if kept won't be stored in a lot but she will have it and it will still get full use. My thought was to purchase something CHEAP like honda civic cheap for her to use that cost little to insure and has no payments so the rest can be saved. Still say sell it?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Hell NO, why put all that money into it and then just sell it, plus at least you have a car, and wont have to worry about payments!

Keep it, cause you have wheels!

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
174 Posts
hey i know this isn't what you asked but i got to know the stats on that...its like what i pictured for my b5 and im lookin to borrow a product or two :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Are you military or civilian? If you're a civilian you couldn't pay me enough money to go to the middle east right now. I understand it's part of my job and I'm prepared to go if called, but if I was a civilian there's no way.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Part it out, DIBS ON FRONT BUMPER :lol:

That sucks that u have to get rid of it man. Make sure the guy will take care of it. It's almost like selling your dog you love so much but you have to get rid of. You want it to go to a good home. So make sure he stays in touch w/ Club :b5: if you sell it. good luck over seas my friend.

but seriously, dibs on the front bumper if you wanna part it out, lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.