Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So after 2 months of searching through various states for either car, I ended up finding an A4 last Saturday locally. I saw the car on Sunday and took it home. It's an 02 A4 Avant 1.8t with 91k miles, 5speed manual, cold weather package, leatherette heated seats (front and rear), and HID's. It's a 2nd owner car with tons of maintenance records including the tbelt/h20 pump, etc done at ~80k. The owner also threw in a like new car cover, Dice ipod/aux adapter, and a hitch he used to mount a bike rack.

It drives great and feels very solid. I've never driven an Audi before and while they share parts with the VW, this car feels more solid that my Passat, but it also feels heavier.

I noticed too that the 5speed is geared much shorter. At 65mph, it runs about 3100-3200rpm. At 70mph, it's about 3200-3300rpm. Whereas my Passat FWD's 5speed runs about 2600rpm at 65mph, and about 2800rpm at 70mph. That's huge difference. I keep thinking I'm on 4th!

I wonder why the A4 is geared so short. I'm sure it could get closer to the same 32+ mpg my Passat gets on the fwy. What a shame!!!

Are Passat 1.8t 4mo's geared short like the A4? or taller like the Passat fwd?

I'm planning on installing the OEM sport suspension from an 02 which they say rides lower than later model OEM sport suspensions, and will top it off with 18" S4 Avus wheels and S4 door blades to keep it OEM looking. Eventually, it'll get APR'd or REVO'd like my Passat.

In the week I've been driving it, I've really enjoyed it but it looks like it's going to go to my better half, and I'm going to continue to drive the Passat until if/when I replace it with something else (maybe a 4mo Passat sedan or wagon, or another A4 but sedan, or MK4 R32). This car was supposed to replace my Passat as my DD, but as I thought more about it, it makes more sense for us to keep the Passat and A4 and sell the M3. Will miss that car for sure.

Some pics

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I noticed too that the 5speed is geared much shorter. At 65mph, it runs about 3100-3200rpm. At 70mph, it's about 3200-3300rpm. Whereas my Passat FWD's 5speed runs about 2600rpm at 65mph, and about 2800rpm at 70mph. That's huge difference. I keep thinking I'm on 4th!

I wonder why the A4 is geared so short. I'm sure it could get closer to the same 32+ mpg my Passat gets on the fwy. What a shame!!!

Are Passat 1.8t 4mo's geared short like the A4? or taller like the Passat fwd?
Congratulations, looks like a well preserved example and it's great to hear you like it.

I believe both cars have 01A transmissions, but there may well be different final drive ratios for AWD Passats and A4's. I can tell you that for mine, 65 mph reported corresponds to 2960 rpm on stock 16" Road Americas with Pilot Exaltos (205/55 R16); that's by VCDS, not the instrument panel.

I agree the gearing could be better, because there's enough power in a chipped AWM to get around OK and less buzz at higher speeds would be welcome.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
My '99 TQM Avant revs similarly to yours, getting me about 28 mpg on a long highway cruise (that was before chipping it). Maybe they want the engine to rev more to counteract the higher drivetrain losses of the quattro?

My fwd Passat has a tippy in it, so I never thought to compare revs at speeds. Guess we need to find a 1.8T with 4mo and manual for a comparison.

Anyway, the new car looks great. I personally hated the leatherette seats in the Audi and replaced them with sport cloth seats (just the fronts). And definitely get the sport suspension--my A4 came with it, and the difference between it and the standard suspension on the Passat is immediately noticeable.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Guess we need to find a 1.8T with 4mo and manual for a comparison.
I can tell you that for mine, 65 mph reported corresponds to 2960 rpm on stock 16" Road Americas with Pilot Exaltos (205/55 R16); that's by VCDS, not the instrument panel.
Mine is a 1.8T 4Mo with manual. I agree with you, the gearing probably is an attempt to compensate for Quattro drivetrain losses. The 01A is apparently a fairly old transmission design and there are enough gears in the parts bin to do whatever's wanted without a lot of drama, too.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts