Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in ATL and we dont get that much ice and snow, every year there is a period of a couple weeks or more were there is ice on the ground. I dont know weather to get all season tires to accomadate for the minimal ice we get or to just get summer and not worry about it. If i go with summer i was looking at the Toyo Proxes T1-S and for all season i was looking at the Toyo Proxes 4. They will be in 235-40/18. So which is the "safer" way to go. I know that the all seasons would be safer and will be better for any situation, but is it practical to get thoose for the little time there is ice here???
TIA
Jordan

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Of course a M+S all-season would be the safest way to go, but I would think that as long as you were careful with summers (and got good ones), then you'd probably be fine. Especially if you get more ice than snow, as nothing will be that good on ice, though summers are supposed to get really firm when cold, and lose some of their handling.

If we ever get any snow/ice in Austin again, I'll get to see how the T1-S performs, but it's usually a few years in between appreciable winter storms. :)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
They've been doing pretty well, over the past 5 months. Haven't found any real cause for complaints. I haven't gone through tons of different tires like some people on here, so I can't really compare it very well, but I'm really happy with them. Seems to keep up with my driving really well. :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Based on my personal experience, I would say Summer tires. I have both Summer and Winter tires, and the Summer tires are much better than any all-season tires I've ever had. As for safety - fifty weeks of the year the summer high performance tires are safer than all-season tires. Also, all-seasons are better in snow, but on ice which probably your only issue, it is hard to tell the difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
GH
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing