Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I was perusing a nearby dealer yesterday, and they had 3 silver leftover 2003 Jetta GLI's with the 200 horse VR6 and the 6 speed with the 17's and the sport suspension. All had a sunroof but one, and the one w/o had a spoiler. All were priced at under $20,500, except the one w/o the sunroof which was under $20,000. That seems to be about $1000 UNDER invoice for all of them. All had under 50 miles. My 2000 Passat GLS 1.8 with a 5 speed has about 56K miles on it, and I know I'm looking at the T-belt/Water pump, etc. in about 15K miles. That'll be roughly this time next year. I anticipate about a grand for everything. I rarely cart around 4 people, nor do I fill the Passat with stuff and run out of room. I think I could get about $10,000 for the trade, so I would have to get a loan for $10,000. Does anyone have experience or opinions about the Jetta, especially the GLI, either positive or negative. You can bypass the normal Jetta=Chick car, I've heard that one already. Also, is there real concern over VW built in Mexico vs. VW built in Germany. Just weighing the options. Honestly, the VR6 and the 6 speed at that price is what interests me. Thanks. Joe.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i don't see any problems with you getting a jetta, make sure the trade is in your best interst though :eek:h:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I like the Jetta, personally. It's a perfectly fine compact sedan. For that price though, I'm sure you could find a 2003 (either CPO or leftover) Passat GLS 1.8T 5-Speed - if that makes a difference.

The GLI does give you a performance advantage (stock for stock), though. However, the Passat does give you a few extra details that might or might not matter to you. Things like a standard trip computer, usable cup holders, etc. Not to mention extra space (though, you mention that that wasn't necessarily important). I would say drive the Jetta and see how much you like it, it might be too cramped for you coming from a Passat (at least that was the case for me).

If there's no rush on this, I would try selling your Passat privately. You should be able to get $12-$13,000 for your Passat, assuming it's in excellent condition.

Regarding the fact that the Jetta's final assembly is in Mexico, some people find that a problem with build quality. Some report a higher occurence of rattles, but the only way to find out is to go to a dedicated Jetta forum. Regretfully, this might mean you'll have to pay a visit to the Vortex.... :wink: j/k Good luck!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Before you go Jetta, think about this: I just bought a 2004.5 4-motion Passat last week with leatherette, cold-weather pkg. and roof rack for almost $5k off sticker with dealing and rebates....and they all come with monsoon, moonroof, etc. Just wish it had a leather steering wheel :roll:

Plus got $13.9k on trade for my loaded 2001 GLS 1.8T with 42k miles, or $1-2k above "excellent" trade in-values from kbb and edmunds. I paid only $21k for this car 3 years ago (sticker was a little over $25k), that is less depreciation in 3 years than a Pontiac has as soon as it drives off the lot :shock:

Full report once I get the car (this week hopefully, its in port) :thumbup:

New (ie 2004, not 2003) FWD loaded GLS can be had for even less IIRC.

Here is a sample ad, I bought my first car from them, but bought the new one somewhere else.
http://www.quirkcars.com/specials/ads/vw.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
The overstock 03 GLI is one hot deal right now. I got mine back in August. This car is a lot of fun. The engine sounds so great that I often find myself driving with the music off just so I can hear the smooth purr of the VR6. If you part with your B5 you need to be mindful that you will be losing leather (if you have it), room, ride comfort, and the feel of the turbo.
The GLI will give you a sportier interior. The seats, leather wrapped 3 spoke wheel, shifter, and handbrake all feel so good. The suspension needs upgrading, the wheel gap is huge and the suspension is more bouncy than it is firm and controlled. This, paired with the All season Michelins or Goodyear makes for understeer. The brakes are adequate for the car. The ESP is good option. If you opt for the car with no sunroof, you will not have a monsoon radio, as they were paired together in 2003.
The real gem of this car is the motor. 200hp and 200lbft are amazing. The power builds linearly up to the redline. This car speaks to me in ways my old 1.8T never did. Every place the 1.8T was flat and peaky, this car surpasses with smooth, effortless power. The only disappointment is the way that power falls off a 6000 to the 6800 revlimit. A GIAC chip should solve that, and add a 7300 revlimit to boot. Some complain about the gearbox. Coming from my old 1.8T I love it. The shifts are smooth and short. Nothing like the notchy, rubbery feeling from my 1.8T. 1-3 gears are very short however. The 1-2 shift is at around 28mph (35 in a 1.8T) 2-3 is just short of 60 (65 in a 1.8T) 3-4 high 80's (90 in 1.8t). This does not faze me. The low 1-3 gears set the motor up in it's powerband for 4-6 gears. This car is no stop light sprinter, it is a highway stormer. The way this car pulls from 60, through 80, and to 100 is actually kinda frightning. Well maybe not frightning but lets just say the acceleration is satisfying. 6 gear is great for cruising as 60 is low on the tach, and most overtaking can still be made without a downshift. (The 1.8T I make mention to is my old 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg)

I have test driven a 1.8T 5spd GLS Passat. I did not push the car as I was not familiar with the clutch, transmission, engine, brakes, or suspension. To me the car felt better over bumps. This is due to the softer suspension, longer wheelbase, and 15inch wheels and tires. Good car, but it did not speak to me like my GLI does.

·
Registered
117 Posts
And to dispell the manufacture question. All US MK4 Jettas with the exception of early VR6 99-00 and all Wagons have been built in the Puebla VW of Mexico factory.

The truth is that the quality of each factory is of little concern. A comparison of Brazilian 1.8T and German VR6 GTI's showed no major differences.

Some creaks and rattles will come up. The MK4 Jetta is a mature platform. As I see it, there are few major areas of concern.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The GLX Jetta is the only Jetta to have a Trip computer and the MFA display.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
24VGliGuy said:
And to dispell the manufacture question. All US MK4 Jettas with the exception of early VR6 99-00 and all Wagons have been built in the Puebla VW of Mexico factory.

The truth is that the quality of each factory is of little concern. A comparison of Brazilian 1.8T and German VR6 GTI's showed no major differences.

Some creaks and rattles will come up. The MK4 Jetta is a mature platform. As I see it, there are few major areas of concern.
I wouldnt buy a German car thats made in Mexico, Brazil or anywhere but Germany.....my bro learned it the hard way....and know few people that did also.

I will pass.....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
passaturbonium
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing