Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, I'm about to add my zender 3pc and it's gonna look hot, but w/ no performance mods to complement the looks, I'm not as thrilled as could be! I'm at 77K now, changed all the belts, water pump, and am still doing the essential not so fun stuff like sparks, etc. but am tempted as hell to chip my B5.

Here are my concerns based on my readings in this forum:

-"premature" oem clutch wear
-"premature" oem turbo burnout
-I want to keep my brakes stock esp. since my rims can't take bigger brake setups.
-didn't get a new MAF- missed the freakin warranty. Will I burn this out quicker.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am at 70 K and i am intending to chip it! Also alrady changed the TB and the water pump. I hope that i dont get any problems of what you said, specially the turbo burnout :nervous: i would love an upgrade but cant afford it. I would chip it even at 77k... there are users here that did it then i think,they will come by!

·
Registered
437 Posts
First off what year is your car, the right people could help you if we knew. Secondly if you have properly maintained your car; reg. oil changes, let your cool before shutting, air filter,... The chip itself will not cause these parts to fail the only part that will fail right away is the DV valve, it should be replaced with a quality aftermarket one at the same time as the chip.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 99 but been on the road from 98. No problems thus far except for an upper control arm. I got the car from my bro a year ago and he didn't tell me until recently about the high octane reqmt. He did an ok job at best of maintaining it. I didn't know about the 'cool down' reqmt. I just heard the same thing earlier today from a guy at ECStuning -for the turbo.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be a problem at all. Good maintanence would help though.
I've got 115,000 chipped miles and zero problems with a Tip vs. stick. Good luck.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I chipped my 98 1.8t with a little over 90K. I just recently hit 100K , Car still drives like a champ. GOAPR !

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uggh, ive probably been killing my turbo. I never knew that im supposed to run my car at idle before and after hitting the streets so that theres enough oil circulation for the turbo!!! So, i guess all you guys do this then. :eek:h:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Brags5 said:
Uggh, ive probably been killing my turbo. I never knew that im supposed to run my car at idle before and after hitting the streets so that theres enough oil circulation for the turbo!!! So, i guess all you guys do this then. :eek:h:
I wouldn't worry about having done any damage unless you've been driving the car VERY Hard then parking and shutting it off. Especially if you are not chipped. I 'm talking about those you drive til the turbo is glowing red-hot.

AS to your other question, I chipped at 80k -- Neuspeed .8 bar, a less aggressive chip. When I chipped I also had recently: Done 80K tuneup, changed timing belt and tensioner, changed all belts, flushed brake, coolant and manual tranny fluid, changed to synthetic oil, and replaced water pump. I figured that the the extra load of a chip, there was no harm in being a little aggressive with maintenance.

If you are really concerned about your turbo you could install the oil line heat shield, but if it has not failed by now you should be fine -- especially if you switch to synthetic, which can handle heat a lot better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! You mentioned everything that I just did except for the manual trans fluid- Im getting that done real soon. Fortunately, i havent been driving real hard shifting in the 20-30 rpm range.

Cool, we're in the same area. How much was the manual trans fluid change for you Dac, I got 2 very different quotes: 250 and 125- crazy! ANd where did you get it done?

Is that heat shield I can install an oem part? Thnx.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My car has had a K04 since 40k. It has just about 70k now and the OEM clutch is fine. It's had only Synthetic (Amsoil/Redline) since 5k and has had a turbo timer on it until I purchased it a few thousand miles ago. Since then, I religously (and have trained the wife to do the same) idled for 2 minutes after parking before shutting down... unless I drove like grandma for the last 3+ miles of the trip.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Brags5 said:
Wow! You mentioned everything that I just did except for the manual trans fluid- Im getting that done real soon. Fortunately, i havent been driving real hard shifting in the 20-30 rpm range.

Cool, we're in the same area. How much was the manual trans fluid change for you Dac, I got 2 very different quotes: 250 and 125- crazy! ANd where did you get it done?

Is that heat shield I can install an oem part? Thnx.
I've gone to a few different places. I finally have settled on bundling service together, believe it or not I take my car all the way to NGP Racing in Aberdeen, MD. They do excellent work, and their prices are more reasonable than down here. If you want to stay local, do a serch for recent posts by Swami -- he has a few strong local recommendations. As to my 80k service, I did everything at Wheaton Service Center in Wheaton, MD. However, I had NGP Racing do the timing belt/water pump/tranny fluid. Wheaton had never done a 1.8t timing belt change, and I didn't want to be their guinea pig.

Tranny fluid is not critical, IIRC it's a lifetime fluid. I changed mine at 80k to an upgraded fluid due to the combination of a chip and a shortshifter, given the tendency of our cars to a problem with the 2nd gear synchro. Better safe than sorry. As to cost, both sound ridiculous. CAll WHeaton Service Center, and see what they qoute you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Swami s awesome and truly resourceful. He strongly recommends Volkswerks and I've taken my car there but now asking for 250 for manual tranny fluid change just sounds ridiculous and a freakin 100 bucks just to change spark plugs! I gotta get back to doing stuff on my own; thats a definite DIY anyhow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.