Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i have a '00 1.8t with 34k mi. I will be installing some neuspeed springs shortly. should i change the springs now? how much more life is left in them?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
After you install the Neuspeeds, very little. Might as well do it now since you'll have the whole system apart.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Yeah i agree with Stealth, just go ahead and knock both'em out at the same time. then you won't have to worry about the shocks going bad :wink:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S_Klass said:
Neuspeed Bilstein's GB is calling your name! :wink:
well, i'm looking for something to go with my SofSport's. i want to have just a little firmer ride than stock, but not stiff. are the bilstein's a good choice for this app?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will also save some money having them installed together. Im getting my springs installed and was told no extra charge to install shocks. $175 total.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guess i'll do both together. now, which shocks should i get to go with the sofsports? do the bilstein's give a firm but comfortable ride? what about the koni's?

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
If you've got Sofsports and don't care for a straight performance-oriented setup, you could consider OEM type replacements like the KYB GR-2. Those will run about $100 less then the Bilsteins we're talking about. They are built better then our OEM shocks and mate up adequately with your moderate (0.85 - 0.95 inch) Sofsport drop.

If you are seeking a sporty feel but still want a level of comfort, your Sofsports will match up well with the Bilsteins. The ride will be firm/tight and most people report that ride quality/comfort is still very adequate. Also consider that you don't have a very agressive drop anyway! :)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
S_Klass said:
If you've got Sofsports and don't care for a straight performance-oriented setup, you could consider OEM type replacements like the KYB GR-2. Those will run about $100 less then the Bilsteins we're talking about. They are built better then our OEM shocks and mate up adequately with your moderate (0.85 - 0.95 inch) Sofsport drop.

If you are seeking a sporty feel but still want a level of comfort, your Sofsports will match up well with the Bilsteins. The ride will be firm/tight and most people report that ride quality/comfort is still very adequate. Also consider that you don't have a very agressive drop anyway! :)
well, i'm gonna go for the bilsteins then. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Go for it and change the shocks the same time too.

I've had enough number of friends regret not changing their shocks while doing only springs - their stock shocks end up busting very soon and car floats like a Crown Victoria.

Good example is two of my friends who both have A4s, one 2003 one 2004, both have Eibach springs. Both cars are floating like a Crown Victoria now. Another friend with a 2002 A4 has the same springs but with Koni Sport shocks and have no problems so far.

I have Koni Sport shocks too and they're wonderful - plus the advantage of able to change and set the stiffness to the level i want. Right now it's at around 35% and its perfect for my mixture of daily driving and occasional weekend fun such as autocrossing. The friend of mine has the identical setup in his A4 is enjoying it as much as I do too.

Though I have to admit the 1.75"-2" drop on my car is a bit too hostile for Boston and the Northeast - might've gone with less drop with another set of springs if I were to do it again.

Conclusion - change your shocks with your springs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
HKPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing