Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy Moven GT2's in 18x8.5". A site that was recommended to me is Spyeng.com. For a good time, their price for a wheel & tire package with Toyo Proxes 4 seemed very reasonable. It was around $1530 for mounted, dressed, and free shipped tires and wheels, with all these extra goodies.

But recently, I have come upon a site, TreadDepot.com, which sells the Proxes 4 seperately for $134 a tire, which combines with the Moven GT2's price of $209 a wheel times four, coming to a total of $1372, around $160 less than getting them from Spyeng.com. So essentially, I'm paying $160 for mounting/balancing, tire dressing and waxed wheels, lugnuts, and free shipping (I'm not paying for this... kind of...). Would all that be worth $160?

Also, if I did buy the tires seperately, how much would mounting/balancing cost me?

Thanks, this means my hard-earned cash to me! :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
essentially, I'm paying $160 for mounting/balancing, tire dressing and waxed wheels, lugnuts, and free shipping (I'm not paying for this... kind of...). Would all that be worth $160?

Also, if I did buy the tires seperately, how much would mounting/balancing cost me?
Well, I'm assuming that you'll get the correct lug nuts for the wheels even if you don't have that vendor mount the tires. And that the hipping is "free" regardless of where you get your merchandise.

The big advantage of having the tires mounted/balanced by the vendor is that they are ready to go when you get them. No making appointments, standing in line, etc. And you won't be transporting many people if you have to get 4 large wheel boxes and 4 tires into any non-Variant B5.

Depending on where you are and where you go, mounting and balancing could run anywhere from $10/wheel (at Wal-Mart) to around $20/wheel. If you get a "lifetime" agrement, it may be a bit more. In most states, you also get to pay some kind of tire disposal fee (up to a couple of buck a tire). At most, figure $110 for mounting/balancing. And you know who to dela with if there are problems. If they aren't balanced properly from your remote vendor.....

"Dressing" new rubber is worthless. The stuff they use to allow them to release easily from the molds will make anything that's applied in the first weeks (in some cases, months) release as well: you'll have it all over your doors and rear fenders.

I wax my old wheels (as well as the new ones). New ones take only a few minutes to do. And you know it is done correctly. I wouldn't pay for the service, but others might.

I've have several sets of wheels/tires come from the TireRack. No problems. Very nice, esp. in the winter when I want to get the winter rubber on NOW! I also drive by one of their warehouses at least once a month.

It costs me about $80 to have 4 tires mounted and balanced. So the "convenience premium" for me would be $80. I like to think in terms of opportunity costs. In my neck of the woods, that will buy a pretty decent dinner for 2. Or 3 tanks of gas. Or...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the balancing info 2KT, and the great prices for the Toyos Pickles, great info.

2KT, when you say 'release', do you mean 'come off'? I don't like the sound of that, having crap all over my fenders.

OT: Speaking of 'crap', does anyone know how to get tree sap off of my hood. It's really nasty. I already tryed claying it, but it didn't work... :mad:

Thanks. :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
2KT, when you say 'release', do you mean 'come off'? I don't like the sound of that, having crap all over my fenders.

OT: Speaking of 'crap', does anyone know how to get tree sap off of my hood. It's really nasty. I already tryed claying it, but it didn't work...

Thanks. :D
Yes, release = come off. And at highway rotational speeds, "slings" might be a more appropriate description.

In college I parked under a couple of maple trees. Tree sap comes off easily with "bug & tar remover." Then use a good wax. If you wash regularly (say, once a week), you shouldn't have any trouble getting the sap off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If possible, try to buy them in a package deal. you might have problems with trying to get them mounted because they don't want the run into the risk of scratching your rim

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
peppy said:
If possible, try to buy them in a package deal. you might have problems with trying to get them mounted because they don't want the run into the risk of scratching you rim
no doubt... and the shops that will do may still scratch them...

i ha da shop damamge a $700 Volk wheel on the Evo... and they tried to act like their machine didn't do it...

i'm still seeking retribution on that... :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.