Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, new to VW although I have to admit that at 53 years old I've had admiration for Herbie the Love bug since I was 5 years old.....Stop rolling your eyes people! ;-)

So I'm shopping for a car....yes apparently I'm the last person on the planet not buying a crossover or SUV in the USA. Yep, I want a car. One that's comfortable for the long road trips and still has good driving dynamics. I've been looking at the Passat, Accord, Camry, Kia K5 and Subaru legacy.

There is something about the 2020 Passat that speaks to me. Especially the R-Line. Yes I'm a sucker for sweet rims. My local VW dealer has a Tourmaline Blue with Black Interior R-Line with Sunroof (not sure of sunroof is standard on R-line or not). Asking price is reduced to $22,985 US dollars. I like the exterior design ALOT....It looks very Audi, very sophisticated. The interior?...Well, less so. I'm willing to concede on the interior since the exterior is so impressive and the price point seems like a bargain for what you get.

Is the 2.0T a timing belt engine like the jetta 1.4?

Any incite anyone has is greatly appreciated. I am a little apprehensive to pull the trigger in a world of Accords and Camrys being the Gold standard for reliability. Has anyone heard of any horror stories on these late model Passats from Tennessee?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a quick catch up on the 2020 Passat R-Line thread and lack of response about new cars. I have an old VW too but that is not what this thread is about.

I have a 2016 R-Line w/38k miles and I like it a lot. I'm 55 and this thing looks good to me. We've done road trips from Western WA to Montana and to Oregon coast. Great gas mileage (38.8mpg over 500miles) and road handling. The turbo helps a lot in the mountain passes where you can keep cruise control on and stay in the left lane passing folks.

I started looking here in these forums for info on 2020 R-Line because the VW dealer has been flooding me with requests to get in a 2020 R-Line for a while now.

We've had no real issues except a leaking water pump that required replacement at 37,000miles and after standard warranty had expired. Buy the extended warranty. It's worth it.

One thing I will say for the 19-inch wheels is that they are loud depending on the type of road you are on. Concrete roads are by far the loudest. Also the 19-inch wheels have a slightly rougher ride. I am ok with it now because I still am in love with my 2016 R-line. The road noise and comfort are just something to be aware of if you get 19-inch wheels. I read that 16-inch and 17-inch wheels provide a smoother ride.

Also watch out for the wheel centers to come off and the dealer wants $70 each for a replacement. I wonder what kind of adhesive they use because it doesn't work too well.

Cheers,
Zann

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2018 (se tho, not R Line) and it cruises great, IMO. I have a hip replacement and degenerating discs, so I'm particular about it. I was in a Crown Vic previously, and I'm glad I got this car.

Have you considered adding wheels? I have 18s and think they look great, but am considering adding some bigger shoes for summer time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, 100% buy the Passat. My insight is it is great value for the money. The R-Line looks cool and rich. Lots of roominess and the sedan always feels better than a truck like SUV. The German drivability of this car stands out over the top of the boring Japanese brands that seem so blah and drive uninspiring. The Passat is like the ball player is whose solid and seldom makes mistakes and is not a loud ass. You can't get more solid than this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts