Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, okay, okay... I got a HOT lead. A 2004 Passat W8 with 150K Km (93200 miles) (listed as 2005). As far as I can tell, the only problems are : A) a bad need for a paint job and B) engine misfires... which means even if I have to replace all spark plug coils that would cost $500, and all coil wire harness sets for another $500.. The price of the car? $400 CAD... Should I buy it? lol

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,152 Posts
The W8 is a special beast. Misfires don't automatically equate to needing a "tuneup". Usually equates to $$$$$. Could be solenoids or something more sinister. Wheres the listing?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy selling it is a wrecker and just says it misfires and refuses to spend more than 10 seconds on crappy VW's lol. There is literally zero more information.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,152 Posts
I'd buy it and if I found out that it required a bunch of work, either try to sell at cost or part out. IF it were me....

·
Registered
27,058 Posts
Do you have an engine hoist? :p
Now where is that infamous W8 buying guide ?

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Never mind.. the monster is parting out the perfectly awesome project car, regardless of any buying guide: Yes I’m insane and would have bought it sight unseen.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,152 Posts
Never mind.. the monster is parting out the perfectly awesome project car, regardless of any buying guide: Yes I’m insane and would have bought it sight unseen.
If I had the space, I sure as hell would have picked it up. If for nothing more than to learn more about it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm pissed I decided too late to get a W8 Sedan (Trust me I prefer a wagon - I have a b5.5 2.8l GLX wagon & b6 a4 3.0 avant). By the time I decided to go for it and made contact, he said there was a guy coming from three states away that afternoon (and it was shitty weather, big snowstorm) to buy it, but if he didn't show or whatever I would be next. the guy showed. I should have taken screenshots of the ad.
ugh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts