Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today during lunch I decided to finally install my Diesel Geek short shifter.

The whole thing should have taken about 30 minutes, but I had a nightmare trying to get one allen bolt into the selector rod/yoke union because of a really tight squeeze.

But after about 15-20 minutes (thank god for magnets)I finally got it. So the entire install took about 45 minutes and then another 5-10 minutes or so for adjustments.

The throws are alot shorter and feel more crisp. This coupled with my drivetrain stabilzer bar, improves shifting tremendously.

If you have a 5-speed, I highly recommend throwing one of these in. :lol:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
wow, you hauled ass during the install, did you have a lift?

I thought the exhaust piping got in the way, and you had to de-hinge some of it.

Maybe I'll start a Group Buy, how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Got it two years ago, love it. Shortens throws from all sides.... :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
omg i love my SS from them, but u must be like super-hands, because that damn thing took me almost 2 hours to do...and i broke 2 cir-clip plyers trying to get that damn thing off :mad: ...but i love it,looks great with my knob! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am having one little problem though, my shift knob (the OEM one) won't clamp down all of the way. I used the clamp that DieselGeek provided, but it seems a tad to large. It is clamped down 100% and my knob turns a little bit. I guess I can just go buy a smaller clamp.

But I will be buying a new shift know soon, I have been shopping around and cannot make my mind up. I would really like the new R-Line knob (same knob as the R32 but with a 5 speed pattern on it) the only problem is I cannot justify spending $160 on it. It does come with a shift boot with silver stitching and a chrome boot surround like in the W8.

Driving home from work was never so much fun though, the throws are sooooo nice, it shifts now like how it should have in the first place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts