Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I should start by saying, the shop is replacing the tire free of charge to me, so I'm not mad. They're making it right, I'm just wondering how it happened.

I found a small bolt in my tire this morning.Took it to shop #1, they looked it over and said they could patch it but were busy so I went to shop #2. I left it with them, and when I came to pick it up, I found a sidewall bubble with a gash in the rubber. I talked to the manager and he agreed to replace it. He didn't really explain how it could've happened but I'm curious how. Is there something about the machines they use that can cause this, and is it due to having low profile tires, which I hear are harder to mount?

·
Super Moderator
14,068 Posts
Maybe the tech set something on the tire and left it there as the mounting machine was turning the wheel and it jammed at the arm and cut through the rubber.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Normally, I'd look at that and call it an Impact Break. Possibility that when mounting it, they used the bar sliding around the bead to get the tire on the wheel. If they hooked it under the bead/sidewall way too hard, they tore the liner from the inside, the air migrated between the layers just as if it had impacted a pothole from the outside and caused the bubble to get big enough to tear the outer sidewall. If that was the case, if the tech went another 5-10 psi higher with the pressure to seat the beads, he would have blown the tire right in his face. By the way, that tire is 2 years old lol.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, I would've chalked it up to a pothole if it hadn't been there when I pulled in and if the rubber hasn't been sliced.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Something definitely poked that tire. You can plainly see deformity right on the word 'TREADWEAR'. My guess is they caught the inside of the tire with the tire mounting machine.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Ouch, that bar will be marking up the edge on that alloy rim unless there is something soft where it touches the turning wheel.
Exactly... Stay away from "Louie's Tire Shop" if at all possible.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it was NTB. I purchased my last two tires there and had good luck. Although I suspect the tech working on my car this day was newer or less experienced. He had trouble getting my car from the parking lot into the shop and it took him forever to get it up on the lift. He seemed pretty young.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Ouch, that bar will be marking up the edge on that alloy rim unless there is something soft where it touches the turning wheel.
If the tech is doing it right that bar moves with the wheel so damage isn't an issue. I've used a similar system to mount tires on my OE Mazda 18x8 and Enkei RPF-1 17x8 wheels for my race car.

Of course, it's very easy to do it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
14,068 Posts
If the tech is doing it right that bar moves with the wheel so damage isn't an issue. I've used a similar system to mount tires on my OE Mazda 18x8 and Enkei RPF-1 17x8 wheels for my race car.

Of course, it's very easy to do it wrong.
I see what your saying, it will rotate away from the vertical bead breaker.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Two separate instances with them at two locations that will have us never setting a wheel on their properties. Both with the 2008 Sonata. I still have pics and documentation but never pursued their corporate offices. Just decided to never cross their thresholds again no matter what.

First: Tire rotation. "Brakes are good but you will need rears before fronts." Three months later, right rear grinding. Bought pads, rotors, plugs, and air & cabin filters at Auto Zone for $130 and did it all in 2 hours. When I disassembled the right rear - where the grinding was - I found the wear sensor tab bent away. That only happens intentionally. NOTHING got up in there to bend it. So if the car was brought back to them for brakes, it would have been $590 for pads and rotors vs $290 for just pads.

Second instance and location: Tire rotation again since it was part of the purchase. "Your water pump is leaking. Pump, belt, radiator cap and cooling system service $490." "Well it's 3pm on a Saturday. How about we drop it off during the week." Since there had been zero coolant loss, I climbed under the car a few days later. Coolant level fine. Not a drop of coolant seen to be leaking. Not a sign of dried coolant residue or scale anywhere. Drove the car another 3 months - including a 4000 mile round trip to NJ - and traded it in on the 2012 Forte, STILL with zero coolant loss. Still have the pictures and the invoice stating the pump is leaking.....

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bill,
I have had good luck over the years at Discount Tire on Northwest Highway near Abrams. I too avoid NTB.
I live near that store, and have been there a few times. I picked NTB because they were open that day and had the tire I wanted in stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts