Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a full CA swap with sway bar links done and the shop introduced a new noise that happens and sounds like a snap/pop when letting of the throttle at speeds below about 30-40. It sounds like it is coming from the right front...I can hear it in the cabin. They've been over and over it and have given up. They even replaced the shock with an OEM one (because it would not rebound) and strut bushings on the passenger side.

They have pretty much given up. My question is what should I do...I don't know that they messed up my car and VW's are complex, so it's not that simple of an issue. However I'm pretty darn sure I did not have that noise before I took it there.

Options please??

Do they have an obligation to take it down the street to the VW dealer and have them look at it?

Or where the heck do I go from here?

I really don't want to keep dumping money into this car, seeing that I could trade it in for a truck that I would have a lot more fun with, i.e. trucks can tow boats.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I think you can work with them, they seem pretty amiable.

Talk with them, tell them to take the car down to Concours and pay the $100 they'll charge for an hour of diagnostics.

Make an offer, if Concours finds it's unrelated to their work, you pay. If they find it had something to do with the CA install they did, they pay.

If they agree, make sure you tell Concours what the deal is, just so that chick from Alpine doesn't try and pull a fast one on you. However, I don't think Concours would play any games with them, they really don't care about Alpine and would probably be real happy to have you back.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mine has done this too.

I replaced all CA's, outer tie rod ends, stabilizer links, springs, and shocks. I still get a knocking noise like I did prior to all that work. :banghead:

I noticed one of my inner tie rod ends has a torn boot, and so I may have an inner end going bad, or I could have a drive shaft on it's way out. Have them check those things, perhaps?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
They have to remove, or loosen the sub frame bolts in order to access the
lower control arms. Doing so means they re-torque said bolts, which are
in fact "stretch" bolts... A.K.A "one-time-use" bolts. Sometimes they clunk
after replacing the suspension, and sometimes not, simple as that.

It will make a pop or clunk near the passenger side footwell area.
I'm going throught the same thing with my A4 (new susp. "kit") and I'm
99% sure this is the problem.

Have a friend listen both in the car, and outside by driving over a small
pothole or drain grate or something. In the footwell? Near the rear of the
front tire and down low?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good suggestions...subframe bolts are tight...but may need replacing. I wish they would let me in the shop to watch it when it is up on the rack.(Insurance reasons) I'm no mechanic...but I'd have to say I know my car and the sounds it makes VERY well.

I also told them to leave it outside with the keys inside...I'll get more money from insurance than trade in.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you hork it...dispose of it good, don't want insurance finding out.

If I do decide to trade we can have a part swapping party...tails, grill, rims (2 sets to choose from) exhaust, corners, sidemarkers, W8 console, tinted windows, antenna, upper CA's, and prob a bunch of crap I'm not thinking of.

Don't get too excited yet though...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sway bar bushings, Tie Rods (inners and outs) replaced. Motor mounts fine (not leaking fluid). Tranny mounts replaced. New OEM shock. Snub mount not busted open at least, they adjusted that too (however they did that). All bolts freaking tight.

Def sounds like the pop is coming from behind glovebox somewhere...haven't driven it lately to get more specific than that.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
How about...don't worry about it? :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sub frame bolts.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sub frame bolts.
Got part numbers for them? How would I go about replacing them myself? Just remove and replace one at a time?

Shop wanted me to contact Concours, not them. They say this is the way they (Concours) have wanted it in the past. They (not Concours) offered to re-replace all of the arms on the passenger side, next week. Perhaps a bad new arm.

They also said my engine has excessive movement compared to another passat they had in. They have listened for the sound with a Stethscope...and they say once they think they've found it, it seems to move.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Seriously, if they can't fix what they broke, they should send it to another mechanic on their dime (someone evry expoerenced with VW/audi in tandem).
If they can't fix it using any reasonabvle option, orginal garage should buy the car for previous fair-market value (this is not KBB or insurance value).
Granted, before doing that they should have a number of opportinties to fix.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts