Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I've got a 2000 GLX V6 4Motion and I love it. Now, I know there are a ton of threads on suspension on here and I've searched and searched through all of them...well, most of them. I finally decided on some H&R Sport Springs paired with some Bilstein shocks to get the optimal height and ride. I ordered the springs and called to find the part number of the Bilsteins for 4Motions only to find out that they don't make them for 4Motions.

DANG! :banghead:

I've heard Konis paired with H&R's aren't a nice ride. Can anyone give me some input on this or recommend some other shocks that will fit 4Motions? Thanks in advance.

Marc

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
You can use Bilsteins from an A6Q if they are not listed for the Passat. I am running H+R Race springs from an A6Q with Konis and love the ride and handling. I also installed 2 other sets of Konis with H+R Sports on other 4MO sedans and they ride good too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You can use Bilsteins from an A6Q if they are not listed for the Passat. I am running H+R Race springs from an A6Q with Konis and love the ride and handling. I also installed 2 other sets of Konis with H+R Sports on other 4MO sedans and they ride good too.
How do the ride & handling compare between H&R Sports & H&R Race Springs on a 4Mo? How do the F&R drops look like for your H&R Race & Koni combo on your 4Mo?
TIA

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
BQwest4Mo, who told you that Bilstein doesn't make shocks for a V6 4Motion? Did you visit Bilstein's Website or check with a vendor who may have one of their catalogues

Bilstein Part Numbers for B5/B5.5 (4Motion Sedan)

BE5-6512 (Front)
BE5-6542 (Rear)

Any vendor who specializes in VW/Audi suspension components could have provided you the correct part numbers. I'm sure this information was also available on PassatWorld if you searched.. ;) I'm a little sad that none of the PassatWorld massive, especially the 4Motion owners were able to provide our Brother/Sister in the Struggle the right information..

BQwest4Mo, these parts should be available from any VW/Audi Tuner who sells Bilstein. I would have to highly recommend calling Shox.com, MJMAutohaus.com, or my local tuner Induktion Motorsports for these parts.

Good luck, and you will enjoy the stance of your car and the improved handling!

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BQwest4Mo, who told you that Bilstein doesn't make shocks for a V6 4Motion? Did you visit Bilstein's Website or check with a vendor who may have one of their catalogues

Bilstein Part Numbers for B5/B5.5 (4Motion Sedan)

BE5-6512 (Front)
BE5-6542 (Rear)

Any vendor who specializes in VW/Audi suspension components could have provided you the correct part numbers. I'm sure this information was also available on PassatWorld if you searched.. ;) I'm a little sad that none of the PassatWorld massive, especially the 4Motion owners were able to provide our Brother/Sister in the Struggle the right information..

Thanks for all of your input. This site is very, very helpful.

Swami,

After seaching for a while, I called Bilstein down in Poway, CA. (got the number off of the website)

The guy that answered questioned if I was a dealer and seem a little miffed that I wasn't and just wanted a part number. I told him the model of my car and he quickly said that they didn't make them for 4Motions. Should've probably realized he could be lying to me. :confused:

I'll look for the part numbers you provided.

Thanks again.
Marc

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thanks for all of your input. This site is very, very helpful.

Swami,

After seaching for a while, I called Bilstein down in Poway, CA. (got the number off of the website)

The guy that answered questioned if I was a dealer and seem a little miffed that I wasn't and just wanted a part number. I told him the model of my car and he quickly said that they didn't make them for 4Motions. Should've probably realized he could be lying to me. :confused:

I'll look for the part numbers you provided.

Thanks again.
Marc
samething here , the guy said they dont make them for my car. i talk to swami and he gave some part # . that was a big help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Believe the Swami..:thumbup:

H&R's with Bilsteins are the way to go. I just dropped my 01 V6 4motion less than a month again and i couldn't be happier.
InduktionMotorsports could give you the part number for the bilstein's from the Audi A6 Quattro for your rear shocks. Ask for Anand, he knows his shit
410-684-3900
4inducktion.com

Adam

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
BJJPassat01, it's funny when tuners reference your old posts or call you for suspension information! I have to get Anand to drop the new B6 for me, but I'm waiting for my bodykit.

There's an issue with certain German Cars and what Bilstein North America will import into the United States. The 1.8T/V6 4 Motions have Bilstein North America part numbers for dampers but the W8 does not! After cross-referencing the part numbers of W8 shocks, it seems that the C5 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2 was a dead-on match. So now all 4Motions can be dropped and shocked! :) Hopefully Bilstein will release dampers/coilovers for the new B6 4Motions..

Dealing with Bilstein North America is hilarious. Their engineers are quite knowledgable, but you have to deal with the 1st Tier Sales Flunky. Here's a huge tip! When I search for Bilstein Part Numbers I use their European Cataloge first, then check the U.S. Website.

I hope this helps,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
How do the ride & handling compare between H&R Sports & H&R Race Springs on a 4Mo? How do the F&R drops look like for your H&R Race & Koni combo on your 4Mo?
TIA
H+R did not make Race springs for the Passat, but did make them for the A6Q. The spring rate is higher to compensate for the additional weight and the claimed increase is 25-50% stiffer for Sports, while the Race claim 50-100% stiffer.

The ride and handling with the Race springs is actually improved over the Sports. Especially the handling. But I have more suspension travel as my car is not as low. I raised the front 1/2" with extra notches on the Konis. I am at 25.75"F (it would have been 25.25" on the stock perch) and the rear is at 26" on the stock setting. The rear Konis have 2 extra notches, (1 up,1 down) so I could lower it 1/2" if I wanted. I am sure the ride would degrade slightly as I would contact the bump stops sooner. I will be raising it 1/2" with Koni coil-over sleeves in the front for next summer's vacation.

The height is only slightly lower than the pics: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154692

1 - 12 of 12 Posts