Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Ima be mod-slapped for this one, but I figured the place most likely to get a response was here... sorry.

Has anyone shipped a trunk lid for any passat?

Does anyone remember or know of a way to determine the weight of one? (excluding the obvious smartass answer "take it off and weigh it")...

Thanks and sorry,
Tom

·
Registered
2001.5 B5.5 1.8T stick Sold :-((
5,635 Posts
You'll need to include the weight of the shipping fixture. You might want to crate it so it survives being shipped.
Haha remember I shipped yours by Fedex....As I am getting old I can't remember the weight but I would say weight here isn't a deciding factor, the size is and it will be an oversized item... I would gestimate the weight around 20 lbs probably a bit less, I can weight my euro lid if you want but it is bare with no accessories...

·
Moderate Moderator
16,463 Posts
I forget how you packed it, but it made the journey unscathed.

With stuff like this, you never know how the shipping people are going to toss it around or stack things on top of it. So it's better to prepare it for the worst then to pay the shippers to wreck it in transit then claim the packaging was insufficient.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....it will be an oversized item... I would gestimate the weight around 20 lbs probably a bit less, I can weight my euro lid if you want but it is bare with no accessories...
I'd appreciate that if you get a chance... I bet its heavier than 20lbs... thanks dude.
...With stuff like this, you never know how the shipping people are going to toss it around or stack things on top of it...
I know, it's a crapshoot. I used to get 24 70-pound boxes a month (abrasive belts) and the boxes looked like new; not a dented corner. Of course they weren't fragile. Then order one large, fragile light thing and it looked like they sent it the long way around the planet. Thank god for that foam-fill crap (2-part expanding foam just like "Great Stuff"). expensive but effective.

I measured the lid; 48"X24"X19" including one inch each side for packing mat'l (I know, I should allow for much more)... dimensional weight is a mofo...
thanks again, both of you.
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.