Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

If anyone can give me some quick ideas here, what would it cost roughly to ship a car by container from LA to Ottawa, Canada (or Montreal, if that is the closest). Thinking of buying an LA car and not sure what I'd be looking at in terms of the extra cost of shipping.

Many thanks! 8)

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Depending on the "drivability" of the car, I agree with darisgin, you will porobably be better off driving it the distance, also you probably won't run into any "shipping" related fees like Julian mentioned (taxes, duties). Driving across, you'd have a temp plate from the state that you purchased it (I think CA gives 20 day temp tags for transportation) And then you'd have to register in in Canada.

It's probably cheaper to fly down, pick it up and drive it back.

If the car is NOT drivable, you will have to have it trucked.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
If you could do it for 800-1000 dollars US, I'd say go for it. Consider this, if you drive it, it'll cost you almost as much, and what is your time worth?

3000 miles of driving

Airfare out to LA = approx $300+
Hotels for drive back - 3 days @ $75 per night = $225 (assuming you can drive 15 hours per day)
Meals for 3 days on the road @ $30 per day = $90
Gas approx 120 gallons x $2.00 per gallon = $240 (based on an avg. of 25mpg)

Total = $855

The above are all approximations, you could of course eat cheaper, sleep cheaper and run crappy low octane fuel but you get the point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are awesome, that is just the sort of feedback I needed! I love CB5! :)

In fact drivability and cost are the key issues here. To be honest, it is not a Passat, not even a VW product. :oops: I am looking at buying a 1985 Fiat Spider, after a serious bout of drop-top envy seeing my friend zip around sunny Montreal in his Triumph! I want that wind-in-hair feeling, and the sunroof in my B5 just doesn't quite do it. :lol:

So, the issue is that it really isn't an option to thrash a 20-yr old 4-cyl engine for 3000 miles, up one side of the Rockies and down the other. Not to speak of my back. :lol: And I agree with the last post too: I figured several hundred bucks for fuel, and the loss of time. I'd probably fly out to LA on points, just to inspect the car and close the deal etc. But if I'd be paying 400 bucks or so for fuel, the extra is worth it to me in time saved.

Thanks guys! Not sure if I'll go through with it yet - SWMBO is seriously NOT in favour. But let's see ...

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
81 Posts
Shop around!!!!! I sold a M151A2 :???: and matching M416 :???: on ebay and shipped them from my house in Mass. to the buyers house in SoCal. for $600 each the trailer was a little expensive but the Jeep was a deal.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Trader_Reed said:
Shop around!!!!! I sold a M151A2 :???: and matching M416 :???: on ebay and shipped them from my house in Mass. to the buyers house in SoCal. for $600 each the trailer was a little expensive but the Jeep was a deal.
Uh yea . . . . those are known as POS companies that jack your shit and f up your ride . . . . . ask me how i know . . . .

Anyways things are much different now due to the fuel crisis . . . . rates have been raised about $100-200 per vehicle . . .

Dave

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Stay away from these transport companies if at all possible. They are a big ripoff. All the work is subcontracted out and there is little if any care made to keep your car in one piece. Most common response after is delivery of a damaged car is; "hey, don't worry it's insured, right"?

I bought an Alfa Spider 2 years ago ~1,000 miles away. Rented a truck and trailer from Penske and drove it home. Penske is very inexpensive and they work great.

my $0.02

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Tom Parish said:
This is a great scam if you want to go into a shady business. Do not ship your car. Drive it. Otherwise it will never be the same.
errr there are actually some reputable ones out there . . .. they cost a lot more but they are great to work with. The one i listed got my car from CA to NY in 10 days from the day that i booked it. (not from when they picked it up). Mine was trucked out on a 3 car flatbed. No damage & etc when I got it in NY.

Julian prefers the more baller route and puts his in a trailer with airconditioning, satellite TV and surround sound.

Dave

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
dude! it is not economical for them to get it all the way on a 3 car flatbed. It comes in those huge a$$ trucks packed like sardines in a can to their local transport office. There, they load upto three cars on a smaller flatbed truck to get it to your house.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
YetAnother20V said:
dude! it is not economical for them to get it all the way on a 3 car flatbed. It comes in those huge a$$ trucks packed like sardines in a can to their local transport office. There, they load upto three cars on a smaller flatbed truck to get it to your house.
actaully the service i had was specifically a 3 car flatbed. Same driver all the way from CA to NY . . . that's partially why it cost me so much to have it shipped. I had it on one of those 10 car rigs the first time and well . . . it took about a month to get to my house.

I know what you're talking about though and that's not what happened in my case.

Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.