Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to post anything until the insurance went through. Got rear ended late last week while stopped at a red light. I felt a hard shove, yelled a few select explicit words and walked out to find this.

:(:(:(

The other driver was insured (thank God) and from what the adjuster has told me so far, the bumper cover, chrome strip and the lower valence will be replaced. The floor of the trunk got shoved in a bit, but is repairable. The muffler had its ends crushed, so I am negotiating to replace it with a dual tip Magnaflow. The adjuster was actually really pleased to hear this, since the aftermarket will probably cost a lot less than a new OEM part.

Their insurance also paid for a rental, and I originally got this:

:puke::puke::puke:

Now I understand why GM needed a bailout. This thing was terrible! Bunker-like sightlines out all windows, tupperware-plastic interior, etc. Engine and transmission were adequate for puttering around town, but were anemic at anything resembling upper revs. Body rolled like a fat kid when taking corners, but then again I am used to the Passat being lowered.

The straw that broke the camel's back was the seating position. For those who know me, I am quite tall. With the seat moved all the way back, I could barley fit my legs into the footwell. Looking directly left was the B-pillar, whose 6+ inch width killed any attempt at looking at my blind spot. I could only imagine the upper seatbelt anchor blasting into my head that was mere inches away from the side SRS airbag.

After a day of suffering, I returned to the rental area and talked about my concerns. After taking a look at what else was available, the rep and I exchanged the following:

"Hmmm...According to my records, we have two vehicles getting an oil change that are in the same vehicle class. I have a Sonata that will be avaliable in a few minutes or a Impreza tha...."

"I'll take the Subaru."

"Well its gonna be another 30-45 minutes. You willing to wai..."

"Absolutely."

10x, no 20x better. Sunroof, 'manual' gated automatic, better interior and better sound system. Even with the base 2.5l, this thing could smoke that goofy 5 door. Still rolls in the corners a bit, but the AWD is a nice touch. Only qualm is the 4-speed auto. :hmmm: I would have expected the Japanese to put a bit more into their transmissions, even for the entry level trim.

More updates as I get word from the repair shop. I want my car back :(.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
:rofl: awesome conversation switching out the car. good man!
subaru is the only acceptable japanese auto company!

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,872 Posts
4 speed auto's are the norm for Subaru. Hence why, when I had my forester, I got a manual trans. Subaru really needs to up their game when it comes to transmisions.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Damage doesn't look that bad. I'd say you're pretty lucky overall. If the exhaust got damaged try to get them to replace the whole thing. Check all the components to asses if there is any damage further up past the muffler. Look at your flex pipe/downpipe.

I drove my friend's 2.5 Impreza hatchback and I felt it was really underpowered. Fun car to flog around though.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
little advice, when i had to insurance claim some damage on my passat many many moons ago, i got the appraisal from the insurance then i went and talked to the body shop, i had 2 options body shop deals with insurance i do nothing money wise, or i take check from insurance and pay body shop myself. body shop was real cool and very nice, i told them to just fix the major parts that i couldn't do and i would take care of the rest.

they wrote up a nice estimate using all OEM vw parts to fix all the damage on the passat and it was like $100 bucks more than what the insurance estimate was submitted it to the adjuster they agreed cut the check i had the body shop do the major stuff i used the rest of the money to replace all my stolen crap insurance wouldn't cover cause i had the rest of the parts to fix it at home.

so moral, take the money for an OEM muffler and go buy a cheaper magnaflow muffler :lol:

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,730 Posts
:rofl: awesome conversation switching out the car. good man!
subaru is the only acceptable japanese auto company!
I will argue that Mazda definitely smokes a suby (not speed, but better overall).

Damn Gordo, guess you won't be getting the bumpstops in anytime soon.....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
little advice, when i had to insurance claim some damage on my passat many many moons ago, i got the appraisal from the insurance then i went and talked to the body shop, i had 2 options body shop deals with insurance i do nothing money wise, or i take check from insurance and pay body shop myself. body shop was real cool and very nice, i told them to just fix the major parts that i couldn't do and i would take care of the rest.

they wrote up a nice estimate using all OEM vw parts to fix all the damage on the passat and it was like $100 bucks more than what the insurance estimate was submitted it to the adjuster they agreed cut the check i had the body shop do the major stuff i used the rest of the money to replace all my stolen crap insurance wouldn't cover cause i had the rest of the parts to fix it at home.

so moral, take the money for an OEM muffler and go buy a cheaper magnaflow muffler :lol:
Thanks for the advice! Ill see if I can talk him into that since the shop I am at now refuses to cut the valence out and put the new muffler on :mad:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will argue that Mazda definitely smokes a suby (not speed, but better overall).

Damn Gordo, guess you won't be getting the bumpstops in anytime soon.....

I should be good for the 17th if you still have the time. Already ordered them from ECS, so should be here in plenty of time :thumbup: lmk

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Ill see if I can talk him into that since the shop I am at now refuses to cut the valence out and put the new muffler on :mad:
careful about the "cut a check" idea. Usually there's an out in the paperwork that if the body shop gets into the repair and finds something they didn't see before, they can call up and get approval on the extra expense. If they cut you a check, you may be on the hook for hidden damage.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
careful about the "cut a check" idea. Usually there's an out in the paperwork that if the body shop gets into the repair and finds something they didn't see before, they can call up and get approval on the extra expense. If they cut you a check, you may be on the hook for hidden damage.
that is true, i forgot that part. i did discus that with the body shop and since they were going to fix it regardless of what route i took they fully disassembled the damaged area and did a full inspection of the damage prior to there estimate to get an accurate estimate without any hidden stuff.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good advice one and all! I will have the shop take a good look at the rest of the exhaust too.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
ACTUALLY. if you have them cut a check and then go to a shop and it is more, the shop will ask for a supplemental check from the ins co. (as long as it is the same incident) but if you try and fix on your own, then you could be on the hook for the money.

The insurance co BY LAW must repair the vehicle back to pre loss condition.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When I had the same thing, the body shop did not use the correct screw anchors when they replaced the rails the bumper goes on. The result was a leak, which ended up pooling water in the wells on the sides of the trunk. It would only (mostly) happen when the car was parked on a slight upslope in the rain, such as my GF's driveway. For a long time I thought it was the rear drain of the sunroof, which is in the area, but messing with that didn't fix the problem.

The screw anchors were supposed to be a self sealing type. I took it the bumper off, squirted clear silicone sealer in the holes, screwed it back. Problem fixed.

Bottom line, make sure that they are using the right fastener hardware, or at least they are sealing it as I did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts