Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any actual data that suggests using higher rpms (assume the engine is regularly given enough time to properly warm up first) leads to "early" engine wear out?

I've noticed that in Europe - people "flog" their European sedans - and the engines never seem to wear out. (A typical German driver will use the entire rev range - and think nothing of it - in order to extract maximum performance from their relatively small displacement engines - where RPMs are needed to generate any real acceleration/power).

I guess I shift - with almost every stick shift car I've owned, at relatively low rpms (even my (used) Porsche 911's I used to shift anywhere between 3000 and 4000 rpms).

I know on earlier generation cars, you could "flatten" out engine bearings by "lugging" the engine at low rpms).

On the automatic B5.5 I have (2 weeks now), based upon my use of throttle position, it seems to shift at about 3,000 rpm.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Red lining the car never hurts the car, it actually is good for it, it cleans out the vavles and the carbon in the engine!!!

Not ALL the time is good, but it sure wont hurt

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
You think too much. Slimebucket doesn't think at all and just says random thoughts that have no basis in fact. So we have a nice balance here, how nice is that. Higher engine speed does dramatically increase inertial loads (by the square of RPM), and increase heat, but you can make a pretty safe assumption that the redline RPM is set where it is because testing showed it would still offer acceptable reliability. So sure, higher RPM increases wear on the engine, but you're not likely to ever suffer for the difference. Enjoy the car, you only live once!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Macabre said:
You think too much. Slimebucket doesn't think at all and just says random thoughts that have no basis in fact. So we have a nice balance here, how nice is that. Higher engine speed does dramatically increase inertial loads (by the square of RPM), and increase heat, but you can make a pretty safe assumption that the redline RPM is set where it is because testing showed it would still offer acceptable reliability. So sure, higher RPM increases wear on the engine, but you're not likely to ever suffer for the difference. Enjoy the car, you only live once!
What I ment was everytime your on the gas your redline it, that isnt good, but redlining you car never hurt it! Just not ALL the time!

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Using the revs on your engine once it is at a correct operating temp is absolutely fine...

Just don't redline it when cold...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.