Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

She crunched my GLS!

2K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  B5V6 
#1 ·
My wife was waiting in line for gas in Ukiah and a woman in a large, late model 4x4 with blacked out windows and one of those Fox motorcycle stickers on the window backed right into the right rear fender well and door of my Passat. Apparently the woman thought she hit a speed bump and bounced off because my wife said the woman pulled forward and then hit her again... harder! This despite the fact that my wife was leaning on the horn.

My wife said from her own driver's seat she could look 90 degrees right and look right down the side of the truck to the woman's side view mirror on the driver's side of the truck. The woman never looked out the side mirrors, she looked only in the rearview mirror and because the truck was so tall she never saw my car.

I don't have pics (camera's broken) but the dent goes from the top of the wheel well about 3" into the door and is a couple inches deep. And this just a month after a semi truck dumped 6 tons of glass (and the metal racks) onto the highway and it rammed into my Windstar as my family sat at a stoplight in Vallejo! I and my baby girl escaped decapitation by mere inches and the glass cut my tire in half, bashed in the fender, sliced up the side of the van and snapped the sway bar! So two accidents where we were at a dead stop and got nailed by the foolishness and outright carelessness of others.

See less See more
#5 ·
That is crazy. People need to learn how to drive before they get behind the wheel of one of those gigantic SUV's. I had a guy back into me because he couldn't see my car (lifted truck vs. lowered car). I was laying on my horn. What do they think horns mean?

#8 ·
man that really shows the carelessness of rivers on the road today, it seems that the conversations on their cell phones or the music playing are more importnat than actually driving with due care. people suck!!

#11 ·
Eric, sorry to hear the news. The only bright thing about both of your incidents is that no one near and dear to you were hurt (although close call on the glass thing). Hope you're on the road again soon!

#13 ·
That bites - had a person open a door into me at a gas station. As I was pulling up to the pump. They later denied being there. I was the fool for not having a cop come. The guy dented and scratched 2 doors and a fender on my 99 Black Magic.

STUPID AND DISHONEST PEOPLE out there. NOW, I have 98 Satin Silver - Was just hit 2 days ago in my parking lot at work The woman had a huge white paint spot on a red car - she said " Oh that's not from your car- its from the fence at my house". Yet another person that should not be on the road. My car was parked driverless. STUPID. :crazy:

#14 ·
Oh, d*mn. I'm sorry Eric. Godspeed on getting it fixed promptly, correctly, and at no cost to you. And many thanks that no one was injured in either accident.

Personally, I have had it with this sh*t. I'm tired of law enforcement cowards giving small-town-revenue-enhancement tickets for going 80-90 mph on empty limited-access highways, while allowing careless idiots with no thought for human life and suffering to roam our highways (and gas stations) unchecked. I am going to start writing letters. Surely there are websites and/or organizations already out there for this kind of thing - does anyone know of any? If not, I'll start my own.

I am just sick to death of this. My wife was badly injured and my beautiful Mazda 929 totalled by a highway idiot about 4 years ago. She was unable to work for 3-4 months (she's a massage therapist) which zapped our finances and set her fledging business back by about a year because of the clients she lost. She also had airbag scars on her face for 6-8 months. The only good thing that came out of it (eventually) was our Passat.

#16 ·
Thanks all for your kind words! I am so very grateful to the good Lord that my family has been spared injury or worse, and I wince when I hear of people like Rusty's wife and what pain and problems a moment of foolishness or selfishness on someones part can do.

All of us make mistakes or have lapses of attention from time to time, and that is what insurance is for. What bothers me is what I see on our roads now and that is a wanton and deliberate disregard for safety when particular traffic situations scream for care and prudence. It's the "oblivion" problem. Some people hardly even care for themselves, much less others, yet they buy expensive vehicles. Narcisism at it's best. Then they become enraged when anyone tries to impose restrictions or correct them when they endanger themselves or others.

The driver in the semi that dropped the glass a) never came to check on us or whether we were alive or dead. I had to go find him! b) Was cited for having a canvas side instead of solid wall semi (in case something dangerous like 6 TONS OF GLASS should break out of the racks). c) Didn't know anything about proper loading or securing of heavy glass. It tore the racks right out of the bed of his semi-trailer! He then apparently tried to defend the fact that he didn't come to check on us with, "The glass was dangerous and I didn't want to walk on it." Yet I have a photo of him standing in the glass later, taking pictures of the accident scene. ANYTHING but admit that he made a terrible and life threatening mistake.

The woman that backed into my wife had my wife sitting behind her in clear view for at least 2 minutes yet didn't even check before she backed. At least she did admit that she made a mistake.

Freedom must be matched with prudence and concern, otherwise freedom is a license for self centered anarchy. And that is what I see here on the roads of N. Cal.

#21 ·
Rusty said:
l5gcw0b said:
Not yet but it looks like they're going to get some of my money! Thanks!
I was a member throughout the 80's/early90's. They were first organized as Citizens Coalition for Rational Traffic Laws, or something like that, and centerted on repealing the national speed limit.

#22 ·
I was in a parking lot last year with the Jetta I traded in for the Passat, and had a very similiar thing happen. I was backed out of a parking spot and getting ready to move forward, and a guy in a Tacoma backed out on top of me. He hit me, and all I hear was CRRRURURUUUUNCHHHHH.

The driver got out of his truck and we talked... he even admitted that he didn't see me... my car was not quite up to the bottom of his rear window. He changed his story later, and because we were in a parking lot, the insurance companies considered it a both at fault! :mad: Oddly enough, he had to pay half of my deductible. :crazy:

On plus note for VW, I got a cracked taillight and scratched bumper while he got $1300 worth of damage to his wrinkled and crumpled rear! :thumbup:

#23 ·
They should make driving tests harder, and enforce the reading of the drivers hand book. How many people know the only legal way to back a car up is looking over your right shoulder? Yea, you're supposed to check the mirrors prior too, but so many drivers just use their mirrors to back up it's pathetic. Sorry to hear about your car, and your van. I hope everything works out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.