Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And all other VW mechanics on this board:

I'm always a little too quick to come on here and complain after getting bad service from the local service advisor that I felt it was only fair that I compliment the to remain nameless mechanic who just gave me some of the best customer service I've ever had. Not the service advisor...the mechanic...when I asked the advisor he just stared back at me and yelled over to the mechanic that I had a "technical question." Too funny...

At any rate, I'm not sure whether he was allowed to do it or not, but recognizing that I couldn't afford to pay someone to do what I needed but that I could do it myself if I just had something to re-calibrate the throttle, the mechanic came out and pulled me aside and told me he'd get me the tools and come recalibrate it for me when I was done. I never got his name, and I don't want to get him in trouble, but after having one of the worst weeks of my life - it was a truly welcome suprise.

I hope you do the same Sharky, I have a feeling you do given the amount of help you give all of us. I learned something valuable - lets not confuse the rudeness of the service advisors (sometimes) with the mechanics themselves who are back there doing the grunt work. This guy could not have been a nicer person.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Nice to hear a kudo for a change .. I have had far more better experiences with the service / mechanics that I have had bad .. bout a 8 to 1 ratio.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
And lets not lump all service advisors into the same category either... :poke: ;)

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
Most good mechanics do things like that for people all the time. I give away TONS of free labor because the customers love it and they usually come back to me over and over from that point forward.

Unfortunately, the "good" mechanics mentioned above are in a distinct minority of the total mechanic population....

·
Registered
752 Posts
Was this fix it twice Wray or hit or miss Hancock?

I find that often the management sets the tone of the service you get. It irritates me when I see the service manager feeding a line to the customer.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,491 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to establish a blog of positive experiences with automotive repair facilities. In Encinitas CA, I am surrounded by competent, honest auto mechanics (see my "good guys" list, below; none are inexpensive, but you get what you pay for), but I realize lots of other folks are not.

Encinitas German Auto Service & Charlie's Foreign Car Service(http://www.charliesforeigncar.com/, http://www.encinitas101.com/charliesgermancars.htm)

Leucadia Shell (yes, the old corner gas station; Guy and Jorge are awesome on American and Japanese cars)

Coast Brake and Wheel (you can't keep a small family-owned business going a full 50 years without doing something right)

Herman Cook VW (www.cookvw.com; yes, good VW dealerships DO exist!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mopower said:
Was this fix it twice Wray or hit or miss Hancock?

I find that often the management sets the tone of the service you get. It irritates me when I see the service manager feeding a line to the customer.
Wray. Haven't tried Hancock except one time when I was trying to get a bracket for my Phatnoise system. The guy had never seen one before. Only other time I dealt with Hancock was when they told me it was $51 for a headlight replacement - Wray was $28. Of course after discovering this site, they cost me $3.

I never had any problems with Wray until the good service advisor (Steve) left.

Sharky I'd specifically request him from here on out if I had gotten his name. Sadly, I don't think "shorter fella" will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts