Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issues installing a shark fin from Dubstop, or anywhere else for that matter? I just installed mine tonight, and I noticed the first couple of threads on the base (part that goes into the roof) seem to be slightly stripped. Also there were many small scratches on the antenna. Anyway, I had a hell of a time installing this thing without help, and even with help it was a royal pain. Since the base is slightly stripped, if I tightened it down too much, the nut would start to spin more freely again. Rinse and repeat this many times. I finally decided that once the ratchet got sort of tight, I would let it be. Now I'm concerned it could leak! Anyone have any words of wisdom for me??

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm very frustrated. :salute:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really, no one's had issues or has input? My biggest concern is the chance of water ingress, but I've looked and can't see how it could leak too bad. The inside doesn't seem loose, but the rubber gasket they supplied for the outside doesn't look like it seals as well as I'd hope.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On another note, anyone know how to get the rear of the liner to go back over the metal lip in the roof? Right now it's just hanging there, not flopping, but I'd like to get it tucked back together.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have one from Visual Garage that I bought for my last car (Mazdaspeed 6). When I returned that car (lease), I took it off and put it on my 2001.5 Passat. It fit both cars just fine. There's a pigtail that screws on to the antenna base, and a 2-sided foam tape gasket to hold it in place (I ordered a new gasket when I moved it to the new car). I've had no problems getting it to work with either car (installation and function).

jj

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
On another note, anyone know how to get the rear of the liner to go back over the metal lip in the roof? Right now it's just hanging there, not flopping, but I'd like to get it tucked back together.
Ive installed 5+ headliners in b5's and have NEVER figured out the secret to getting it to go back over the lip. I just start from the middles and work my way out :/ even then it doesnt look like it did from the factory.
I have one from Visual Garage that I bought for my last car (Mazdaspeed 6). When I returned that car (lease), I took it off and put it on my 2001.5 Passat. It fit both cars just fine. There's a pigtail that screws on to the antenna base, and a 2-sided foam tape gasket to hold it in place (I ordered a new gasket when I moved it to the new car). I've had no problems getting it to work with either car (installation and function).

jj
Agreed. I've never had a problem with install. My current sharkfin is off a b6 passat and install was fine, I had to cut the adapters and twist em together but meh, its only a visual mod for me. No radio... all mp3s :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen that one, but don't think I can sneak a $80 antenna cover past my wife. How's reception on it? The one I installed isn't horrible, and I didn't expect it to be as clear as the radio antenna from the factory, but even once I move one county away the station I had been listening to starts to get a little crackly.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know there may be a tool that allows you to lift the liner up and over the lip, but it wouldn't be cheap. I wonder if there's anything I could make or just make do with....

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those interested, I made my own tool: took a pants hanger, straightened most of it (after removing the paper part where the pants hang), then bent the tip down a bit (less than .5" of the tip). This allowed me to hook under the liner and lift it up towards the roof. It took a while to fine tune how I was using it, but once I figured it out, it wasn't too bad.

On another note, I removed the shark fin and went back to the OEM base/whip. I tightened the base as much as I felt comfortable, but no more since I didn't want to strip the threading. On the topside where it meets the roof, on one side it doesn't sit quite flush. I know there's a rubber gasket in there, but you think it may leak on me? I guess I could install a VG shark fin and be done. I'm thinking the 3M adhesive would help to keep water from entering. Thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've seen that one, but don't think I can sneak a $80 antenna cover past my wife. How's reception on it?
Now that you bring it up, I can't really answer that question. I put it on my Speed6 as a visual modification, and I don't recall that I ever had any issues. However, I only really listened to Sirius in that car, and I only listen to Sirius/iPod in my Passat (changed the head unit to integrate both). The only time I listened to terrestrial radio in my Passat with the VG Sharkfin installed was to test it out quickly to make sure it was functional. I was able to pull in an FM station (the only one I could think of), and then I just switched it back over to Sirius. I know that when I bought it, the Mazda forum I was following had several testimonials from people saying that they were very happy with the reception they got from it. Of course, it was about $20 cheaper back in 2007 when I got mine, so it was a little easier to stomach. Since I'm only using it as a cosmetic piece, I'd probably just get the cheapest fin I could find if I was buying one today.

jj

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, I think I'm considering the vg. The price is a bit high, but $12 shipping is what I really don't like. But, it's painted body color, so I may bite the bullet.

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
I've seen that one, but don't think I can sneak a $80 antenna cover past my wife. How's reception on it? The one I installed isn't horrible, and I didn't expect it to be as clear as the radio antenna from the factory, but even once I move one county away the station I had been listening to starts to get a little crackly.
Mine was $.50 at the local pull apart lol. Since I cut the adapters and twisted them together the signal sucks. but wth the proper adapter I'm sure I'd have premium reception:thumbup: But like I said I only like the sharkfin for the visual, I always have MP3's or CD's playing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
It is. When I purchased mine 2+ years ago from ECS it was cheaper.

I had mine color matched and works fine.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
May not be exact, but it looks really like the one from Dubstop. Rus approved me to return to him, so I'm sending it tomorrow. At least if it didn't work, Rus was cool about returning it to him. I'll definitely do business with him in the future. It wasn't his fault it didn't work out.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 weeks ago I installed the light smoked bumper markers from him along with color correct lights from superbrightleds.com. I had to Dremel the markers a little to fit, but nothing too hard. It looks great and shipping was pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a test for the vg shark fin, I removed the oem mast, and reception was way better than with dubstop's shark fin. Is this odd, or is most of the reception due to the power of the base?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts