Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5182898.html

The PDEA--the result of intense lobbying from large copyright holders over the past six months--has emerged as a kind of grab-bag that combines other proposals introduced in the past but not approved. One section that first surfaced last year punishes an Internet user who makes available $1,000 in copyrighted materials with prison terms of up to three years and fines of up to $250,000. If the PDEA became law, prosecutors would not have to prove that $1,000 in copyrighted materials were downloaded--they would need only to show that those files had been publicly accessible in a shared folder.
yeah, that's justice. the music industry overprices cd's for years and years and gives me back ONE CD in their settlement. but if I share (for non-profit - not making a cent off any sharing) I can be fined 250 large and meet bubba in the backroom.

rapists can get off with less.

tell me this is justice.

our congress - the best that money can buy.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Scandalous.

No offense to the artists, but I think the internet sharing is a good thing....maybe that will bring the executives' and artists' salaries back down to Earth a little bit.

Lower salaries will, in turn, bring more "art" back into the music, etc. rather than it just being all about the cheese.

Just my $0.02

-Harry

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its more like 5 cents per cd. its a pittance.

distribution, advertising and all kinds of other overhead - plus don't forget exec salaries - take the lion's share.

it was never about 'artists rights'. that's a PR smokescreen.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
linux-works said:
its more like 5 cents per cd. its a pittance.

distribution, advertising and all kinds of other overhead - plus don't forget exec salaries - take the lion's share.

it was never about 'artists rights'. that's a PR smokescreen.
yeah, artist dont make much themselves (relative to execs), but look how many artists are turning exec....thats what im sayin...it's like a ladder. the trickle-down effect will be there.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
jwilker said:
Artists typically make less than .50 per CD as far as I know. it's the execs and shiat that need adjusting. Sadly they'll sue all their customers and kill the entire industry before taking a paycut
I think it's execs and overpaid 'entertainers' in general though; I mean, come on, the cast of Friends each making $1m+ per episode? Okay, the advertisers foot the bill, and they have to pass the cost on somehow...

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
It's not coincidence that they call it pirating and not simple theft:

pi·rate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prt)n.

One who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation.
A ship used for this purpose.
One who preys on others; a plunderer.

That's the key. It's also not taxable. The local governments charge sales tax on all those cd's. They can't if you steal the music.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Spirare
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing