Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I´ve checked all threads regarding this but I´m kinda confused since here in Brazil we don´t have this GLX/GLS distinction. The only models sold here were named 1.8, 1.8T and V6 so I can´t tell if my flat mirrors were supposed to heat and/or fold automatically.

I do have the icons of heating and folding on the button but these functions never worked at all. How do I know if these functions are busted or even if they actually exist in my car? Does the heating work only when the rear window heater is on?

Thanks. :confused:

EDIT: Disconnecting/Reconnecting the battery brings no effect.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
only came on W8's and GLX's
if you have a 1.8 you dont have these options.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hi there,

I´ve checked all threads regarding this but I´m kinda confused since here in Brazil we don´t have this GLX/GLS distinction. The only models sold here were named 1.8, 1.8T and V6 so I can´t tell if my flat mirrors were supposed to heat and/or fold automatically.

I do have the icons of heating and folding on the button but these functions never worked at all. How do I know if these functions are busted or even if they actually exist in my car? Does the heating work only when the rear window heater is on?

Thanks. :confused:

EDIT: Disconnecting/Reconnecting the battery brings no effect.
Maybe the switch has been replaced with a GLX type switch, does the knob adjust the mirrors?, if not it could be simply the wrong switch or is disconnected.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe the switch has been replaced with a GLX type switch, does the knob adjust the mirrors?, if not it could be simply the wrong switch or is disconnected.
Yes, the adjustments work OK on both sides. I think this part was never replaced, though :crazy:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Related question I've been meaning to ask: is it possible to swap out the standard power mirrors for the GLX/W8 folding units? Has anyone done this before? DIY link?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VW only made one switch plate for the mirror control - just because you have the icon doesn't mean you the option to heat and/or fold.
Well, on brazilian e-bay we have for sale both models:

and without heating:

Are you sure that despite of the button icon I do not have this feature? :icon_eek:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
No, I am not 100% sure.
My W8 (and predecesor GLX) had a switch that resembles the first one (w/ defrost icon) - the folding icon is 180 degrees from that one (dead forward).
The second switch (w/ 0 icon) is a mystery.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I am not 100% sure.
My W8 (and predecesor GLX) had a switch that resembles the first one (w/ defrost icon) - the folding icon is 180 degrees from that one (dead forward).
The second switch (w/ 0 icon) is a mystery.
I see. But is there a way to know if I have such features on my car?

And one more thing, does the heating works only if the rear glass heater is on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The mirror heat is independent from the other defrost functions.
If you turn it to "defrost" the two mirrors should be slightly warm to the touch after a minute or so.
If the switch is left in the "defrost" position for too long, it will burn out the element.
The rear window defrost is timed - it will shut itself off after a few minutes, and after you shut the car down.
My semi-educated guess is that if you don't have heated seats, you won't have heated mirrors. Of course trim levels/ options/ and standard equipment vary widely by market. US and Canadian cars are I believe, virtually identical.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Did you buy the car used, preowned, new to you. If so more then likely the switch got broken off, very easy to do if you not careful. And when they replaced it, they got a switch with all the functions. My car has a mirror control that shows heat and folding, but I only have heat, no folding. HTH

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Easier said then done, to get the parts from the dealer would be spendy. You need no only the folding mirriors, switch with fold feature, you also need door computers. This is from memory so I may be wrong but I'm almost sure that they had different DCM for the ones with fold feature.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hrmmm, ok. I'm still surprised nobody (TMK) has done this before. Is it like a Climatronic swap where it's simply more trouble than it's worth?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, thank you all for the info.. My car does NOT have heated seats but I still didn´t understand how to find out if I do have heating or not.

How can I check this "element" that you mentioned?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Pop the mirror glass out(use a butter knife, wrapped in pantyhose works well). It just pops out with a little bit of prying. Then if there are two wires attached to the back of the mirror glass then you have heat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So does the GLS have adjusting for the side mirrors? I just bought this passat w lil while ago and the side mirror knob was broken so I replaced it but i never thought that the knob adjusted them as well...??

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys, one more doubt!

Part number 2 IS NOT AVAILABLE on brazilian cars, what is that about? Heating or folding?

·
Registered
715 Posts
This really shouldn't be that difficult in my mind.

Why not pop the mirror cover (#13) off and/or take the entire mirror assembly off your door and look at the physical construct of the mechanism. If there is a motor/servo assembly you likely have a folding model. Or simpler still, get the p/n off the entire assembly and look up if it is a heated/folding or non-folding unit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts