Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2004.5 Passat GLS and I absolutely love it. Its a nice upgrade from the Honda. I am a complete newbie to VW's, but have been building/racing cars for quite some time. I have a couple very general questions which I searched for on the board, but was unable to locate any answers.

1) Has anyone had any success with interior trim kits? I bought one off of eBay, and when I received it it was this awful rubery looking plastic that I would not put anywhere in my car. Does VW make an aluminum interior kit, and if so, about how much does it cost, and where can I order it.

2)Is there a factory turbo timer on the 1.8T's? Sometimes when I cut the car off, a noise drones on from under the hood. The engine isn't running, but it sounds like something is still moving.

3) Is there a factory blowoff valve on the 1.8T? From what I gathered on here there seems to be, but where is it located, and why can't I hear it when I shift.

The thought of running my car without a blow off valve or turbo timer scares me. If these are not factory instaled parts I will be purchasing both very soon. Any recommendations? THanks

Everett

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Welcome to the Club :thumbup:

1)It is not Alu, but if you give PM to Blownaway (he is from LibertyVW) he'll give you some good advices http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42450

2)OE turbo timer do not exist, but is VERY VISE to have it.It will be of great help when stop car, to cool of turbo.I would say essential item for extending life of turbo.

3) can't tell you, my car is V6

hope that you will find what you are looking for :thumbup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
A list of Answers:
1.) Yes VW offers an aftermarket aluminum trim through their Driver Gear catalog. Unfortunately this a stick on kit and a true aluminum dash kit is hard to find. The real aluminum kits are found on european Sport edition Passats and have to be special ordered through companies over here. www.pgperformance is one that comes to my mind.

2.) There is no factory turbo timer on VWs. The sound you are hearing is the cooling fanse and the oil pump running to cool the engine.

3.) The 1.8T does not have a BOV device, is has a diverter valve. This recylcles boost instead of dumping it. This recyled air is fed back through the turbo and improves spool up times. A better description can be found at http://www.vw.com/engine/index.htm?car=passat#

Hope I helped

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, I also bought a 2004.5 Passat but unable to find any answers.
I haven't found the DV myself, but i bought a bigger and better one called the hyperboost. I'm suppose to receive the packege today, and by tonite it will be installed. I'll post something telling u where i found it and the dif. in driving and noise (that what's count for me .... the PSSSSSSII sound).
BOV valve don't work well on VW because the air sensor is plasses after the valve and if you blow too much air out, your fuel composition is going to be to rich and you will have many probs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, i finally finished installing it.
TO access the DV you have to remove the bottom belly, from there look at the trubo from under, the DV is bet the turbo and the fan, on my car it was hidden behind the cooler pipe. after that just remove it and plug in the new one.
Oh yeah, don't forget bandages !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts