Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/content/carrera

The driver of the CGT, Ben Keaton, was a regular at 6speedonline.com. They still have a forum dedicated to him. Like many here, I'm sure, I've read a lot of opinions and speculation on this event - including some from those that were there.

IMO, Mr. Rudl would be turning over at the actions of his wife. Her husband was a willing participant in an event I'm sure he was enjoying to the very end. And her attorney, an opportunist and a "former racer", ought to be ashamed of himself - although we know he is not. Of course, Mr. McClellan's explanations are subjective and his statements related to PCM are ignorant and appalling.

I wish people could be a little more accepting of the fact that accidents occur and sometimes people get hurt or killed. Not all risk can be removed from the sport and everyone that participates in these events realizes that (or should). Was this really a case of "gross negligence"? I'm not an attorney, but not in my view.

Discuss.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Just a question, but...

Her husband had the money to buy a Carrera GT, but she still felt it necessary to sue?

I sometimes hate America.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a question, but...

Her husband had the money to buy a Carrera GT, but she still felt it necessary to sue?

I sometimes hate America.
No, the wife of the passenger sued.

The passenger owned a new Lamborghini that kept overheating and asked Keaton for a ride in his car - evidently he was considering returning the Lambo and ordering a CGT instead. So, yeah, he had a couple bucks too.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Thats why I asked, I wasn't sure...

I didn't really read it, just skimmed, see what I get for skimming?? :p

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
PSM would have corrected the “tail happy” oversteer response to Keaton’s steering input to avoid the Ferrari.
Really? At 130mph and on dirt grass?

Wow, I fucking hate people after reading this article.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? At 130mph and on dirt grass?

Wow, I fucking hate people after reading this article.
And that's only part of it. When you start drawing it out, the whole thing is rather infuriating.

Examples:
1. Last I checked there was no law that required cars to have PSM.
2. There is no PSM or computer system that I'm aware of that will save your ass during a spin or abrupt manuever at 130+ mph.
3. What are the ramifications of this settlement on future events (insurance)
4. What are the ramifications of this settlement on the production of motor vehicles (PSM mandatory...no option to turn off...who knows)?
5. Who's really being punished here? The driver? Nope, he's dead. Instead his wife and young kids, who had absolutely nothing to do with the accident, are the ones punished by being forced to pay a ridiculous settlement.

It goes on. The whole thing is silly beyond words.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
While some of thos epoints may have merit, the Porsche one has no merit IMHO and would not probably have stood up in court. And as far as I can tell, Posrche will end up paying $366,000. Thats less than was paid for the CGT.
I don't see any major precident being set, in fact thats a major reason for settlement. Even though the risk of losing was probably small, combining the cost of defense, and the potental loss of money if they lost with the more important possibility of a precident being set saying that lack of stability control was gross negiligence, settling would seem a good idea. In fact, this action indicates to me that Porsche would have no modivation to put stability control (esp undefeatable) on every single car based on this case. (Though I think the law will soon change to mandate it anyhow).
FWIW, under the federal rules of civil procedure, it might have actually been manditory to join porsche in the suit, though that would depend on a number of factors. However, if it was not manditory to join, but rather a cash grab, its certainly troublesome. However, I'm not always certain these people are as shameless as everyone thinks. Its quite likely this lawyer believes his BS, its a common coping meathod for being a sc. . . "consumer protection attorney."
/This is not to condemn all consumer protection attorneys. If my wheel falls off because of a bad weld, i'm damn well going to sue, its more about these marginal cases.

Personally I think ESP is pretty cool as long as I can defeat it with the push of one button.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This lawsuit is a perfect example of how messed up our legal system is. Your racing 130mph on a "RACE TRACK". Some external factor comes into play on the "RACE TRACK" that results in your crash. You crash and burn and 130mph on the "RACE TRACK". And now it's everyone elses fault.

What a joke!

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
The suit should have stopped at the FOC president. None of the other factors would have been an issue if he followed his own rules requiring a passed vehicle in the inspections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts