Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my '90 A2 Golf WE after 9 years of ownership. It was not reliable, and my wife refused to drive it, so it didn't do us much good as a second car unless she always took the B5.
  • 173K miles
    Broken stud in the manifold
    Gas leaks from the fuel reservoir box and engine
    Hole in muffler
    Bald tires
    Needs voltage regulator
It needed about $800 in repairs. Dude was psyched to take it off my hands for $500, talking about some diesel conversion. I was psyched it was going to get new life. Been too busy to take care of it in the last few years. Still hard to say goodbye.:cry:

Anyone else ever have a hard time giving up a beater? (That sounds dirtier than it is :lol: )

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I feel for ya man, it still pains me to think about loosing Trundle, my '66 microbus. I ran out of steam about halfway through the restoration, and started pouring cash into my Passat. Although I had a number of good offers, it took me over a year to find a buyer I felt comfortable with, a kid that went to school with my daughter :)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I've been there, man.

I drove a 1982 Mazda GLC 3dr for 13 - count 'em - 13 YEARS! Daily driving. It only stranded me twice, once for a clogged fuel filter on a trip, and again for a broken fuel pump.

I bought it in 1985 and I left it on Guam. It almost made it home.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just donated my 1983 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Wagon - baby poop tan with gorgeous woody doors (faux, not real :wink: ) - to Habitat for Humanity through an online donation site. It was the drive-every-three-weeks-to-the-dump/recycling-center car and Home Depot runner. An 8'x4' sheet of plywood fit perfectly into the back [post lumber pic here].

It was still running fine for short trips around town, but was on the verge of a major breakdown. I threatened to make my 11 y.o. take her road test in that car when the time came. I'll miss that car! :cry:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
flipsauce said:
Sold my '90 A2 Golf WE after 9 years of ownership. It was not reliable, and my wife refused to drive it, so it didn't do us much good as a second car unless she always took the B5.
  • 173K miles
    Broken stud in the manifold
    Gas leaks from the fuel reservoir box and engine
    Hole in muffler
    Bald tires
    Needs voltage regulator
It needed about $800 in repairs. Dude was psyched to take it off my hands for $500, talking about some diesel conversion. I was psyched it was going to get new life. Been too busy to take care of it in the last few years. Still hard to say goodbye.:cry:

Anyone else ever have a hard time giving up a beater? (That sounds dirtier than it is :lol: )
Oh God almighty do I feel for you dude. I absolutely LOVE my beater '91 Camry with 225k on it but my wife won't allow our 2 month old son it and really wants me to get rid of it so I think it's days are numbered . . . ah well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.