Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there.
found the INA kit I'm going to use.

1. Just wondering if I should remove everything from the front of the car and how to do it rather than just doing service position?
2. What is everyone's GO TO water pump to replace the one that is in there.
3. How much G12 coolant will I need to put back into the car after the process?
4. Will I need to remove and replace the stud on the tensioner or just use the existing one? (and how so without a special tool?)

Thanks
-R

· Registered
2,001 Posts
1) I removed everything when I did my first timing belt. It's a confidence booster to have it all in front of you but it's not necessary and removing/reconnecting the radiator hoses can be a real PITA. The AC condenser can just be put aside so no need to drain the refrigerant. Honestly, unless you have a bunch of extra time and energy, I'd just go with service position. Watch a few videos first to see what's involved if you're still unsure. This one is pretty good:

2) Any decent brand is probably OK. Metal impellers seem to be favored by some but IIRC, water pumps from the VW dealer use a plastic impeller.

3) I'd guess 1 gallon of concentrate if you can still find it or 2 gallons of diluted will be more than enough.

4) Unless it's damaged just re-use it.

· PassatWorld Elder
8,248 Posts
Only once did I try to work on the front of the engine without pulling the whole front end off.
Never again. Full service position ever since. Yeah it's a few more screws / bolts to remove but being able to sit on a stool the whole time is way better than being stooped over the grill with your arms sandwiched between the front of the engine and radiator.

Reactions: Passatfan2

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only once did I try to work on the front of the engine without pulling the whole front end off.
Never again. Full service position ever since. Yeah it's a few more screws / bolts to remove but being able to sit on a stool the whole time is way better than being stooped over the grill with your arms sandwiched between the front of the engine and radiator.
Any further instructions on getting the whole front off..most stop at service position...

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Any further instructions on getting the whole front off..most stop at service position...
It's pretty obvious once you get there.

From memory.....you need to remove both coolant hoses (major PITA), the trans cooler lines if it's a tiptronic (meaning you'll have to re-fill the fluid when done - minor PITA) then un-bolt the power steering cooler and unclip any wires that attach to the front carrier. At that point, you can remove all the bolts holding the front assembly and lay it off to the left side. You'll want something to rest it on so it doesn't stress any of the remaining connections. Then the entire front of the engine is in front of you and you can see every pulley, belt, cog, etc to make sure it all is lined up correctly.

In short, service position just slides the front assembly back about 6-8 inches and it is supported by 4 long bolts or pieces of all-thread. To remove the front end, you remove the 4 support bolts and disconnect anything attached between the front assembly and the rest of the car that prevents it from being pulled further back. You can leave the AC connected and just swing the front off to the side.

· PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
I never pulled the front off for just a timing belt and I've done bunches of them. I don't wan to take the risk of removing anything that can cause a leak later (coolant hoses). The trans cooler lines alone will drive you crazy when you try to put them back in. I just put the cars on jack stands so I don't have to bend over so much. Then I can sit on the rolling seat to remove all of the fender liner and bumper parts, and then stand nearly straight up to work on the motor (I have long arms).

· Registered
1,624 Posts
If you want to refresh your car for the next few years, minimizing the need to pull of the front again for a long time (assuming all these parts are ancient):
1. Replace AC compressor with dryer and orifice tube. Clean the condenser.
2. Replace oil cooler gasket, and possibly hoses,
3. Replace snub mount,
4. Replace radiator hoses
5. Inspect SAIP hoses and all vacuum lines for crispiness and replace as needed.
6. Check headlights and harnesses
while you’re there. I think that’s everything.

· Registered
88 Posts
I have done it both ways but full removal is the way to go. There is not much more invoved and you can sit and do the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, etc.
The thing about service position-vs-full removal is the absolute necessity to use an air/cordless power ratchet to be able to reach a lot of stuff at all efficiently and mirrors to see what you're doing if you only go only service position. The radiator hoses almost always refuse to unhook and the transmission lines don't need to be disconnected then. I just do ratchets and mirrors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts