Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell how to reset the service engine light? I don't want to take the car to the VW dealer to have the oil changed and pay $25 of an oil filter and $5 a quart for oil. Is there a simple trick. Could not find it in the owner's manual. Thanks.

I am an new member of the forum and have enjoyed reading a lot of the postings. Sounds like a good group of people hanging around this site.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Can anyone tell how to reset the service engine light? I don't want to take the car to the VW dealer to have the oil changed and pay $25 of an oil filter and $5 a quart for oil. Is there a simple trick. Could not find it in the owner's manual. Thanks.

I am an new member of the forum and have enjoyed reading a lot of the postings. Sounds like a good group of people hanging around this site.
what has the light have to do with an oil change, ?that light is a check engine light (CEL),which means there may be a posible problem with the operational part of the system,whatever that might be , the (DTC)has to be scanned/ read to find out ,there is no light for service

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I didn't make my self clear. The light says "Service Now". In my 3.1 Controls and Equipment manual on page 13 it says "when there is service due, a chime sound and the flashing "wrench" symbol appears for about 20 seconds. The following display appears in the instrument cluster: SERVICE NOW. It then further states "if the maintenance service is not preformed by an authorized VW dealer or qualified workshop, then you should bring your vehicle as soon as possible to your authorized VW dealer or qualified workshop and have the Maintenance Service reminder reset. That is the light I am talking about. Is it not a reminder to service (change the oil and filter) the engine?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I didn't make my self clear. The light say "Service Now". In my 3.1 Controls and Equipment manual on page 13 it says "when there is service due, a chime sound and the flashing "wrench" symblo appears for about 20 seconds. The following display appears in the instrument cluster: SERVICE NOW. It then further states "if the maintenance service is not preformed by an authorized VW dealer or qualified workshop, then you should bring your vehicle as soon as possible to your authorized VW dealer or qualified workshop and have the Maintenance Service reminder reset. That is the light I am talking about. Is it not a reminder to service (change the oil and filter) the engine?
i hae two passats,my00 85,000miles my01 70,000,miles niether has service interval lights ,glad they dont too

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
service engine light

I have a 2006 Passat. Bought it just before the 2007 came out back at the end of August. I has the 2.0L engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far I have been chided for being incorrect and questioned for more info but still have not got an answer to the question. How do I reset the Service Now light so that it will remind me the next time service is due. Of course I have the little sticker on the windsheild that reminds me but if the Passat can remind me with a milage controlled information message why do I need a sticker on the windshield put on there by Jiffy Lube? Anyone know how to reset the reminder without going to the VW dealership. The Jiffy Lube grunt didn't know how to reset the reminder even though he told me he could/would but didn't.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm not %100 about this, I found it on the 'tex, but it might be worth a shot

hold the little wrench button in while inserting the key. Then, press and release the "min" button and then press and release the wrench button again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ChrsB5,
I followed your instructions and guess what, the SERVICE NOW light is reset now. I am saving these instructions so I can reset after each oil change. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
The other problem is that he has a B6 and this feature was not on the B5/B5.5 Passats. Not many B6 owners reading the garage forum (yet).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not %100 about this, I found it on the 'tex, but it might be worth a shot

hold the little wrench button in while inserting the key. Then, press and release the "min" button and then press and release the wrench button again.
I was looking for this fix too for my 2007 B6 2.0T. Worked like a charm. Thanks :)

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
5 years in the wrong forum and nobody flagged it?

Moved

1 - 15 of 15 Posts