Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Joined the Club back in early February, but this is my first post. Have been lurking on here everyday since I joined, trying to learn everything I can about this wonderful car. This is the first car I have ever owned that made me want to get my hands dirty. Probably since all I had before this was American crap.
Anyways, I have a 2001 (early) Black GLS 1.8T 5-Speed. LOVE IT!!
Finally started modding it. Slowly, but surely. Just ordered my first mod... a 710N DV.
So anyways, have some questions. Searched and read ALOT, but cannot find answers to these. Hopefully someone can help out.

1. If it is even possible, is there a write up anywhere that shows how to add-on headlamp washers? Would be a cool mod.
2. Is there a parts list available anywhere for my model year? The ones like the use in the body shop to order parts. Or, is this included in the Bentley Manual?
3. Has anyone bought one of the VAG-COMS from http://www.obdtool.com? If so, what are your impressions of it?
4. Is it possible to put tail lights from a B5.5 on a B5?

Any ways, TIA for anyone who replies.
This is a GREAT group here, look forward to hearing from ya!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
4. Is it possible to put tail lights from a B5.5 on a B5?
I believe only variant lights are interchangeable without body modification.

3. Has anyone bought one of the VAG-COMS from http://www.obdtool.com? If so, what are your impressions of it?
Most popular tool around here is from Ross-Tech.

2. Is there a parts list available anywhere for my model year? The ones like the use in the body shop to order parts. Or, is this included in the Bentley Manual?
VW ETKA CD is what the shops use. Copies are available on Ebay but the legality of those CDs is a grey area. Otherwise, Bentley CD would be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Here's a FEW answers for you ;)

1. There isn't a writeup but it's pretty straight forward adding headlight washers. B5Bel has completed it on his car. Basically you need to get the headlight washers off an A4 of similar model year, some tubing, a new windshield washer fluid tank w/ 2 pumps (one for the normal washers, one for the headlight washers) and a bunch of tubing. Maybe PM B5Bel and ask him about it. I used to have a parts list from him but it got lost in the shuffle.

2. If you can find a copy of the ETKA that would be your best bet (It's the PC program the dealership uses) It's around.

3. Nope, have a VAG-COM from Ross-Tech, couldnt' be happier

4. Yes for the Variant, but no for the Sedan. You would have to have a body shop do some remodeling in your rear (both rears, as it's going to cost some $$) to get them to fit.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the answers guys! Very quick!
OK, so here are a couple more questions then...

4. Yes for the Variant, but no for the Sedan. You would have to have a body shop do some remodeling in your rear (both rears, as it's going to cost some $$) to get them to fit.
- I seen on here that someone replace the front end of their B5 with one from a B5.5. Is there a write up on how to do this? I know where to get the parts from, but how much modification would need to be done?
- Could the rear of a B5.5 also be swapped?

- I know the Ross-Tech is popular with members here. I only ask about the one from OBDtools because of the price difference. Approx $300 vs. $70. Would leave me that much more for mods!! :lol:

One more. Sorry to he a knowledge-hog :shock: .
My car has the sunroof. Is it possible to do the W8 sunroof mod on a B5?

Thanx all... your help is much appreciated!
Have a :beer: :drink: on me!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yea, you can do the W8 sunroof mod on any B5 I believe, www.ecstuning.com is a good place for that. Make sure you get the complete kit, and not just the harness from the W8 (It is NOT plug and play). As for replacing your front end, if you are talking about the headlights I don't believe they are interchangable, but there are a few aftermarket available. The fogs, you can get Vestitech, and I think there is another one, but it has slipped my mind. The Group buy section is a great place for discounted parts :thumbup:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, VWPassatGLX155
With the front end, I am wondering about changing out the complete front end with one from a B5. I can't remember the guy, but I know I read a post in here from someone who did it.

Thanks again

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i have the vag-com from obdtool, and it seems to work fine. it uses the same interface as the ross-tech one. i've only used it to change the sport shift mode, and looked around a bit, but it seems fine.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I believe there are two members on ClubB5 that have done a complete front end conversion on a B5 (to a B5.5) It can be done, but it is expensive, some parts you are better off just getting.. like the headlights, you could just go buy some hella HID's for less than you would pay for the B5.5 lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts