Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any opinions on this. I'm considering selling/trading in my 2003 Passat Variant for a different make of car (no opinions on this, please ;-) ).

My question is, should I try to just trade it in, or should I contact a VW dealer to see if they'd buy it? It's got 73k highway miles.

Thanks!
M

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Just trade it in, or if you have the time, sell it yourself. You'll get more for your car. VW isn't going to give you any more than any other dealer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You will get more by selling it yourself. Try an online advertising service like cars.com - your can keep the ad up until it sells.

If you trade it to a non-VW dealer they will likely call the nearest VW dealer anyway to consult on pricing and re-salability.

VW may actually give you LESS than another dealer - they don't seem to do much on either the loyalty front or the buyback type thing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
Sell it privately.

Are you getting another wagon/variant? There are LOTS of sedans in this size/price class, but still very few wagons.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've considered selling it myself, but I'm a single girl who gets carsick as a passenger. So, several strikes against me just selling it on my own.

I'm not getting another wagon. I'm looking for a sedan now - something spiffier and most likely non-VW. Overall, I've had really good luck with this car, but I must say I'm not happy with VWoA or their service. This is causing me to look to another model.

Any ideas what I would possibly hope for a trade-in on a 2003 GLS Variant (4cyl) with 73k miles? Thanks for the advice, everyone.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
V-Dub Duluth said:
Around 8-9k if you're lucky. A dealership here offered me $6,500 for my 2002 1.8T GLS Sedan with 75,000 miles on trade-in.
Ouch! The last time I looked, the KBB price on my 2001 B5 wagon (1.8T tip 33k mi) was considerably higher than that. Fortunately, I have no near-term plans to replace it.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,691 Posts
If you decide to trade it in don't tell the salesperson until after you have settled on a price for the car you want. You will probably get 20% less than the street value from the dealer. To most accurately determine the worth of you car go to your local library and ask for the NADA Used car book. This is the only place delaers will go to look up used prices. Anything online, including NADA, will only be in the ball park.

Try listing it here in the classifieds and on VWVORTEX. It's free and may give you an idea of how hard it will be to sell. Also remember that when you trade the car in the amount they pay you for your car will be deducted from your total price thus reducing the amount of sales tax you will pay.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
MaiaVision said:
... I'm not getting another wagon. I'm looking for a sedan now - something spiffier and most likely non-VW.
That does open up all sorts of options.

MaiaVision said:
Overall, I've had really good luck with this car, but I must say I'm not happy with VWoA or their service.
I think alot of folks on this board feel the same way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts