Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Wanted to run a few things by all of you that have been going thru my mind now that we have learned that VW Dealerships can now sell their brand new 2015 Passat TDI's again.

Little background:

My wife and I bought our brand new 2015 TDI SE w/Sunroof & Nav back in July 2015. Love the car, and thanks to her long distance commute, we now have 43,000 miles on the car. No issues, and we continue to love the car and especially love the amazing mileage with getting with a Diesel. As such, when the Dieselgate scandal came up, we had 2 options.... have the emissions work done, keep the car, and get about $7,500.00 back from VW. Or, we can do the buyback, sell the car back to VW, and get about $30,200.00 from VW. We were planning on having the emissions fix done and keeping our car.

Since we love the car and the fuel economy, it felt like a no-brainer...free fix plus free money. Besides, if we were to sell it back to VW and take the money, what car could we buy that would offer very similar fuel economy? My wife is not an American Brand Car lover (so no Volt, Bolt, Fusion, Chevy), definitely won't be getting a Prius, the Altimas/Camrys are all meh, and the other Germans (Mercedes-Benz and BMW Diesels) are beyond our price range. We looked the Accord Hybrid, and while nice, it was a bit pricey ($36,995) and the wife did not like it at all. We also thought about just going back to VW, buy a gasoline TSI, and use that extra $$$ we got from VW to put towards the more expensive fueling bill.

So the emissions fix seemed to be the right answer for us, despite friends, family, neighbors, and everyone else we spoke with that said we were nuts not taking the $30K buyback. Especially since we paid about $25K for the car brand new from VW !!

I can understand someone that may have an 09 Golf TDI with 250K miles, with rust, fluids leaking, and a rough-shaped vehicle getting offered a buyback of at least $3,500 (or whatever VW's minimum is). Sure....definite no-brainer. But our car is so new so, it wouldn't be as favorable to us, especially with her commute.

So now...I heard that VW can now sell their brand new 2015 Passat TDI's to the public. Many are discounted quite a bit. Opens up a new thought in my head on what we could do. And I was wondering if this would be a possibility.....

Could we sell (buyback option) our car back to VW, then purchase a brand new 2015 Passat TDI with the $? I know technically this is possible. But the additional concern is that my wife would like to have the exact color interior/exterior and options she currently has with our existing car. The exterior color and interior color combo is a bit rare, although quickly searching on autotrader nationwide did bring up 4 exact models quite far from us. And I'm sure there quite a few more since many dealerships don't advertise all of their inventory on autotrader.

My questions:
-- Has anyone done this?
-- What's the timetable for VW to buy back my car if I were to select that option say, today (does it take months for everything to go thru)?
-- Could do the negotiation with VW to buyback our car, receive the check, then, whether same day, same dealer, or not, buy the new one?
-- Any thoughts on this new vehicle that's been sitting around on a dealership lot for over 2 years (dry rot, bad gas, seals, etc)?

I don't mind having the car driven 100-1000 miles to my local dealership. In fact, our car was in PA, we bought it in MA, and live in RI. It was driven by our dealership about 400 miles from PA to MA, and then I drove it home to RI.

My thinking is that we could be ahead of the game due to the great deal we initially got on our car, the extra money we've been paying down on our existing loan, and we'd be getting the exact car (with the fix already done), likely a much smaller loan payment, with 0 miles on the clock, and a full warranty vs our existing car with 43,000 miles and with no warranty.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated and definitely taken into consideration.

Thank you all,
Cintoman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wanted to update everyone here that read my posting. Well, I ended up finding a duplicate of my car over in Ohio, about 600 miles away from me. The dealership folks I was emailing back and forth were very friendly, and we worked out a great negotiation price on the car. It's the exact duplicate, but has the additional options of a rear lip spoiler and the illuminated door sills. So I pulled the trigger and purchased it.

On Friday evening, I got a rental car for the one-way drive, and my daughter and I did the 9 hour drive to Mentor Ohio to Classic VW. We picked up the car and then drove back home. The car had 400 miles on it, and when we got it home it had 1008 miles.

I have now submitted the paperwork for my "old" existing 44K mile Passat to VW's Claims Website. The best part is that I now have a car that has 43K miles less than my other one, is covered under warranty, and has 1 free scheduled maintenance. I qualified for VW's 0% financing for 72 months. So now, once VW buys back my original Passat, they'll pay off my existing loan (that's at 2.25%), pay me the remaining balance, and I'll put that money towards the new Passat, effectively reducing my loan from around $10K to about $4K.

It's funny to see 2 exact Passats in my driveway. Neighbor called me a TDI hoarder...hahaha.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Cintoman

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a "new" and modified 2015 last month. Here is what I can tell you comparing it to my 2013 SEL-TDI. (which I still have)

Definitely has more power, especially at highway speed. MPG is as good as the 2013. Appears to be better on the highway at speeds above 60 mpg, but have not had a long highway trip yet. Also seems to have a slightly higher 6th gear. (5 mph faster at 1800 RPM in 6th gear.)

Transmission shift points are more agreeable to me. In Drive it keeps the RPM slightly higher. In the Sport mode the shift points are at a lower, and more desirable RPM. Sport mode on the 2013 kept the RPM too high, making unusable.

Seems like the engine noise might be slightly higher. I have driven one than the other to compare. (The 2013 is going to VW in 4 days)

Pretty happy with the new TDI, but not happy with the dealer that sold it. (more on that on request)

It is equipped just like the 2013, SEL-TDi, which is what we wanted. Did not get the preferred color, but did get the Continental tires which gave good performance and mileage on the 2013.

The 2013 gave us a trouble-free 99,870 miles. Only problem was an oxygen sensor (37,000) and the heater core (about 90,000), both taken care of on warranty at Hendrick VW in Concord NC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Nice to hear tfarmsvw. My wife drives the Passat to work every day (52 mile commute each way), and she hasn't really noticed any differences in power, fuel economy, sound, or performance. Our new 2015 one was exactly the same as our old 2015 one. The new one does have the trunk spoiler and the illuminated door sills, which our old one did not. But other than that, it's exactly the same (TDI SE w/ Sunroof and Nav packages).

I'd be interested to hear about your dealership experience that sold you the car.

Thanks
Cintoman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts