Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 glx passat wagon v6 automatic triptonic ----- whats the first approach to finding out what this problem is all about..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the last scan from auto zone only showed the O2 sensor problem -A number of codes showed when I first started working on it. all of then I fixed .But the cruise code never showed then. I thought it worked when I first got a hold of the car. maybe I'm not setting it right.

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Has it ever worked since you bought the car? Does the light in the dash come on? Did you mess with any relays while working on the other issues?

Reactions: chipsouthard

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The cruise control in any drive-by-wire B5 Passat (from roughly MY 2000) is entirely in the ECM, so there's no separate cruise control module, no separate fuse to blow.

The cruise does depend on the brake pedal switch working correctly. It has two contacts, one for the ECM, one for the brake lights. On manual transmission cars, it also depends on the clutch pedal switch. And many ECM codes will disable cruise for safety reasons, but those would give you a CEL.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has it ever worked since you bought the car? Does the light in the dash come on? Did you mess with any relays while working on the other issues?
well I thought it did. maybe I'm not using it right. / i do know the backup light is out. might that have something to do with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be the relay number for the cruise control / is there a fuse that might be put in the wrong place ?

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
As implied above, there isn't one. Your first stop should (again, as stated) be the brake pedal switch.
There is a relay or module for the multi-function wheel on the relay panel. It and the stalk are common failure points.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
There is a relay or module for the multi-function wheel on the relay panel. It and the stalk are common failure points.
I"d forgotten about the multi-function wheel!

OP, do you have a stalk for cruise control, or a multi-function steering wheel? If multi-function wheel, do the other functions (e.g. horn) work? All the multi-function button presses are sent over a single slip-ring to the module PZ mentions.

(The OP said he has a GLX, so maybe that answers the multi-function wheel question. But I've never been able to remember the trim line names.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
As implied above, there isn't one. Your first stop should (again, as stated) be the brake pedal switch.

OP, do you have a stalk for cruise control, or a multi-function steering wheel? If multi-function wheel, do the other functions (e.g. horn) work? All the multi-function button presses are sent over a single slip-ring to the module PZ mentions.

(The OP said he has a GLX, so maybe that answers the multi-function wheel question. But I've never been able to remember the trim line names.)
You may consider a clock spring going faulty on you. That manages a few of the controls on the steering wheel and your cruise control going bad may be a leading indicator. Hope just a fuse though. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

By stalk I expect your speaking of a handle cruise/ the 2002 wagon glx -v6 4motion automatic has a handle cruise .off the left side of wheel

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
OP, the stalk is simpler... it just has wires to the ECM for each button. The brake pedal switch is still your first check.

The multi-function steering wheel has all the cruise buttons on the moving part of the steering wheel. My Passat wagon had that, but I frankly like the stalk better.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

I'm guessing the GLX would be a multi-function steering wheel for cruise control.
The stalk, as far as I know is only for the older GLS models where there's the separate controller/module behind the glove box.
Since the change to drive by wire - that eliminates any separate controller/module. Hence my thinking of only multi function with year vehicle the OP stated.
But then again, I don't know all the trim level options.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
Don't forget that the stalk still contains the switch to turn the cruise on and off.....

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
My 2001.5 1.8T was drive-by-wire, but still had the stalk; it was entry-level, a GLS according to the bill of sale (yes, I'm a pack rat). The 2005 Etka shows both part numbers for the turn signal lever, with and without cruise control switches.
Welp, goes to show you my above statement is true. Not privy to all the model trim levels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so dumb ass me was not using the controls properly -- seems it worked all the time. thanks people for the help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts