Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Garage door opener just bit the dust. I'm planning to replace the door and the opener. The first for house aesthetics the second because IT'S BROKEN :mad: . What are the advantages to screw drive vs. belt drive vs chain drive (please no X-rated comments).

TIA,

John

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Screwdrives are good. My parents have two Genie Tracdrives that are even quieter, but I think they're hard to find for some reason, my dad was bitching about trying to find a part for one of them when I was on the phone with him a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Screw = Durable, quieter than a chain.
Belt = Quiet, decently durable
Chain = Cheap neither durable nor quiet

FWIW, the Sears Craftman openers are made by Chamberlain. I opted for a Sears belt drive, because we have a bedroom over the garage. We can never tell when someone is opening the door - it is really really quiet.

If sound doesn't matter, I'd go for a screw drive.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
If there's already a chain driven one, there's no sense in replacing all the rails and whatnot for the lifting mechanism. So buy another chain drive and let the next homeowner take care of it. :wink:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
screw drive, and genie has a slow start model that's really great for low stress on the operating mechanism - both the motor & the door, and it's also very quiet because of this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice! We decided on the belt drive for 2 reasons, #1 it is very quiet and my daughter's bedroom is above the garage. #2 the warranty was better. Our garage door was pretty beat up by the orignal residents of the house so we had that replaced as well. Its insulated where the original steel door was not. Temperatures in the Sacramento region range from the low 30Fs in winter to mid-100Fs in summer. The garage has been a problem area in interior enviroment control. I knew I could count on :b5: er opinions.

John

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Good choice if your prioritizing quiet operation. However, chain drive tops in long term durability. I've has screw drives before and the screw it self breaks. My current chain drive operates with no problems.

BTW, you must be a Ham Radio Operator or used to be. QSL?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If you've got a Wayne-Dalton door or a door that uses a torsion beam door balancing arrangement, you might like the iDrive from Wayne-Dalton. I bought mine at Lowes and have been very happy with its performance.

I'd been considering a kit car and/or a car lift for my garage since the days I could only dream of owning the home I'm in now. Being able to lift a car or have the vertical space to hoist a body over a kit car were the true primary reasons for buying this type of opener. With my master bedroom directly above the garage, the added plus of the iDrive's amazing relative quiet is a huge one. Plus it's the fastest opening opener I've ever seen!

Here's a writeup I posted on 'vortex after finishing the install:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1185425

There s a link to a photo collection of the work but no link to any video clip of the iDrive in action. I can email a copy to anyone who'd like to see it (663Kb mpg).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Scotaku
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing