Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow CB5'ers,

I've got a 2000 1.8T w/28,000 miles on it. Really low miles, huh? That's because I live downtown and am less than 10 miles from work. Anyway, the car's no longer under warranty -- except the drivetrain (100k). So, here's my problem...

Check Engine Light came on w/the "Emissions Workshop" message. Made sure the gas cap wasn't the problem and continued to drive it - hoping the error would clear itself after 5+ starts without another fault. No such luck, so I took it to the local dealer - hoping the Mass Airflow Sensor was once again the problem (since I just received a notice that the warranty had been extended to 7yr/70k) and I'd get it fixed for free. In addition to the CEL, I informed the service dept. that I've recently begun to notice a peculiar sound coming from the engine -- sort of a high pitched whining -- for the first 10-30 seconds following a cold start, and sometimes when I'm stopped and the car is idling before the engine's warmed up.

So, here's their diagnosis: A busted Secondary Air Pump hose caused the CEL/Emissions Workshop warning -- fault code W/5051 (BTW, does that code # sound right to you?). Replacing the hose ($58.22) and suction ($31.45) would be $90 for parts and another $82.50 for labor (1 hr.) for a total of $172 + tax. Nothing too surprising so far, but here's where I become skeptical...

They then tell me the sound I'm hearing is caused by a "noisy Vacuum Valve" which runs to the vacuum booster and brake booster. That'll cost $60 in parts for a vacuum valve/restrictor and hose plus 6 clamps. Add $247.50 for 3 hours of labor for a total of $308 + tax. Since the sum total of both repairs is over $550, and they don't have the parts on hand anyway, I decide to get a second opinion. After reading a bunch of postings here on the Secondary Air System, it sounds to me like the noise I'm hearing is more likely to be a failing Sec. Air Injector Pump - instead of a faulty valve. What do you all think? If so, can the pump likely be repaired rather than replaced since it hasn’t yet quit?

I'm scheduled to take it into an independent repair shop soon, but thought I’d also ask here since many of you know a lot more about our B5’s than the typical mechanic. Here’s some additional CEL/Emissions Workshop service history, which might also be relevant:

- Cooling Temp. Sensor replaced 9/04/02
- Mass Airflow Sensor replaced 9/13/02
- “Sec. Air Inj. System incorrect flow detected, found bad vacuum lines from intake manifold to waste gate solenoid” 9/03/03
- “R and R charge bypass valve”??? 9/08/03

Any info. or suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
1. You can't repair the pump.

2. If the hoses they quoted you for the $172 keep the light off, have them do it and turn down the other work on the "noisy vacuum valve."

3. You yourself can determine the source if the noise by simply having someone start the car under conditions when the noise is likely to occur. If the noise you're talking about is coming from somewhere under the air filter box, you know it is the secondary air injection pump and you can just wait until it dies.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Somebody needs to come up with the way of adding a resistor somewhere to fake the computer into thinking the airpump is working. The thing only works for 30 seconds or so when you first start the car, so it's not impacting your emissions for 99.9% of the time you are driving. Seems like a big waste of money to keep fixing these stupid things. I wouldn't fix it until you have to go in for your emmissions check. It doesn't affect driveability at all right?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I'll try to work on a writeup/how-to here soon since Im taking computer networking here at school, intense electronic courses are getting to be a daily routine for me.

Flipflops and timing diagrams suck.... especially edge triggered JK flipflops....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sharky said:
1. You can't repair the pump.

2. If the hoses they quoted you for the $172 keep the light off, have them do it and turn down the other work on the "noisy vacuum valve."

3. You yourself can determine the source if the noise by simply having someone start the car under conditions when the noise is likely to occur. If the noise you're talking about is coming from somewhere under the air filter box, you know it is the secondary air injection pump and you can just wait until it dies.
Thanks Sharky!

RE:
1. That's a bummer.
2. Sounds like a wise move.
3. I've listened myself and I think it's the pump. But, wouldn't/shouldn't a VW service tech. know the difference between a noisy valve and a noisy pump???

not_too_shaby,

I've detected no discernable difference in engine performance. Thanks for your input.

Anyone think VWoA would be willing to cover/share these repair costs, given this car's poor history of emissions system problems???

·
Registered
853 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
Somebody needs to come up with the way of adding a resistor somewhere to fake the computer into thinking the airpump is working. The thing only works for 30 seconds or so when you first start the car, so it's not impacting your emissions for 99.9% of the time you are driving. Seems like a big waste of money to keep fixing these stupid things. I wouldn't fix it until you have to go in for your emmissions check. It doesn't affect driveability at all right?
I'm with you on this on. VW supplies it's vehicles with parts that are prone to failure (time and time again). Is our only recourse to buy more VW parts and hope they too don't fail prematurely?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Homer,

I've had the exact same problem, I called VWoA and asked about this on such a low mileage car. A little sweet talking later, they agreed to pay half of the repair to the dealer to replace the secondary air injection pump. Its worth a try. Have them check the combi valve too, it often causes the injection pump to fail.

Vince

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Dadof5arrows
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing