Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every time I start the car up(04 1.8t fwd wagon) my secondary air pump is louddddd. Assumption is that means is gonna go out soon but maybe yall have ran them for years just loud like that, I dont really know. Heading to LKQ tomorrow to grab some stuff but wondering thoughts on grabbing on from a car out there? Is this a common item to die? Is it worth rolling around on the ground out there for? Should I just grab a new one?

Side note...I had been under the car and never put the sheild back on like a dope. I dono what I hit but heard it bounce up in the car and tore my radiator in half. Ooops. Lesson learned.

·
Administrator
23,351 Posts
You might want to assume that the inlet or outlet hoses are broken or torn. It gets super loud when they break. I replaced my pump to combi hose and it's so quiet, you can barely hear it over the elevated idle on cold starts.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I can just barely hear my SAIP when I'm in the car, even with the windows open. If you're is making a racket then somethings wrong.

I'm sure the pumps wear out eventually but broken hoses or stuck combi valves make them die a much quicker death since moisture or condensation from the exhaust gases can flow back into the pump and ruin it that way. Most of the parts probably aren't expensive but I'm sure the junkyard parts would be cheaper. I'd use junkyard parts if they look OEM and in good shape otherwise just get new stuff. Also, it never hurts to practice a bit on a junkyard car if you have time. R/r of the SAIP is not a big job but it never hurts to try it the first time on a donor car.

·
Registered
26,187 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
do not know your location but in near future in my case N.E Ohio, you will not hear the pump as it does not operate (ECM command) under I believe 39 F. degrees Late October thru, March. And that leads/contributes to failure, leaking fumes from combi, moisture,condensation, etc. Without going to service position you can get to pump itself..... ah ,ah relatively (used loosely) by removing fender liner

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
Mine was torn up going on some rough dirt roads in Utah last fall. The front half is there and held in with Zip ties. I have a metal one sitting in the garage to install when I swap the 2.0 stroker motor in next year.

·
Administrator
23,351 Posts
Mine was torn up going on some rough dirt roads in Utah last fall. The front half is there and held in with Zip ties. I have a metal one sitting in the garage to install when I swap the 2.0 stroker motor in next year.
So, you decided to keep it?

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
:) I've always wanted to keep it, but I am torn over the waste of it sitting. Since my wife wants to keep the Golf as a backup for the kid's cars, I would be left without a car. So yes, I decided to keep it and install everything I have. It will be a long process as my back pain only allows hard work every 2-3 days, including the yard work and work on our other cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts