Hey PassatWorld,

I'm pre-flight checking my car before I take it in for Mass State Inspection:

2001.5 1.8t
- Lights - Good
- Tie Rod Ends - Good (just replaced)
- Tires - Good (just replaced)
- CEL - Check (No Codes)
- Readiness Codes - Nope - Secondary Air Injection Failed

I've been having a intermittent P0172, so I just replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF, so far it' hasn't come back, but I've only driven it one day....

My main question now is regarding trying to get the readiness code set for the 2ndary air injection (unless you got another suggestion for the P0172). I've tried firing up my VagCom and running the test for the secondary air injection - The test runs ok, but the readyness never goes to good (Block 077, GO then change to Basic settings (with RPM @ 2k)). Any ideas where to look and how to get it to go good?

Also, I'm quickly searched and I *think* I might be able to actually pass Mass state inspection if there is only 1 failed readiness (if the car was older than 2000, then 2 failed readiness codes might even pass.). So I guess I'll call the garage I use for inspections tomorrow to see if it would pass or not with the 1 failed readiness code. But I'm a bit ocd and would like to resolve the readiness code assuming it doesn't involve replacing the sai pump or spending alot.

in the past few years I've replaced the infamous elbow hose and all of the vacuum hoses except for the hose to the DV valve, which looks ok but is on, except for where it's rubbing on the alternator, but it doesn't look worn thru yet, plus boost is good. The DV hose is on my list along with a new TT DV that I bought a few years ago and never put in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks like MA and CT have similiar emissions standards. Just took car in for emission testing and it passed with all monitors ready except secondary air. I called the state first to get the standards and was told the same info you got. Since the car is a 2003, one monitor not ready will pass as long as it is not catalyst or evap. Those must be ready.
Now the question why is SA not ready. Since I just reset the codes after fixing a vacuum leak setting P0171 code two days ago, it might take longer as the SA only gets used on a cold start and I'm told usually for less than a minute. I'll give it a week, and if still there will be checking into it and will return here with results. Youtube has a couple of good videos on checking out SA.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Since I just reset the codes after fixing a vacuum leak setting P0171 code two days ago, it might take longer as the SA only gets used on a cold start and I'm told usually for less than a minute.
I don't think the SAIP testing is done during the actual SAIP cold start cycle. I think the system is tested sometime after the engine starts operating closed loop.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
I don't think the SAIP testing is done during the actual SAIP cold start cycle. I think the system is tested sometime after the engine starts operating closed loop.
I believe the testing cycle is the short run (10 seconds or so) that occurs a few minutes after the cold start cycle completes. Happens for me every morning, 3-4 blocks from the house.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Steve or Scott, do you believe then that my secondary air monitor should be complete by now, 3 days after clearing codes? I have no codes pointing to a secondary air problem or any other codes. Any ideas what is preventing it from reaching the ready status?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I don't know what parameters need to be met before the ECM tests and passes (or fails) the SAIP. You'd think in 3 days the opportunity would have presented itself, but who knows. Check the link from Toolkitguy (post #3) about setting all the readyness monitors. Do some searches if you need more info.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/270353-setting-readiness-codes.html
VWVortex.com - FYI - Readiness: Secondary Air & Evaporative Emissions

When you ran the vag-com test did you see the O2 sensor reporting the extra air in the exhaust?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I failed the first test with SA not ready (2). The tester said that 3 runs at highway speed on 3 different evenings for about 10 min ea would clear the codes. My trusted mechanic told me the same thing. That did not.

But a week later when i took it out for a longer run , probably 20 minutes each way, They finally went ready.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Scott, what are your indications 3-4 blocks from your house that tells you that your SAIP testing cycles is taking place?
Simply, that the pump audibly starts, runs for a bit, then shuts down until the next cold start. This is on my 2004 (AWM). My 2000 (ATW) was exactly the same. Since it's both cars, I assume it's normal - and I was informed here that it's a test cycle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rayj, if the emissions testing facility failed you for SA not ready and it was your only monitor not ready, then he did this in error, and you should let him know.
You can call CT emissions to verify. SA not ready is a condition of a system. It is not a dtc code indicating a failed component. I am going to wait a week to see if it comes ready before digging into the SA system. Just got the electrical diagram, so it should make it easier to see how the ECU is commanding the SA system to perform.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I C, I can't hear the pump on mine, but assume it is working as there are no SA codes. Bought a Vag-com cable and downloaded VCDS-lite, but can't get the software to recognize the com port assigned to the usb vag-com device. If I can get that going I can monitor the SA system. Waiting a little longer for ready status.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
the easiest way is to just drive it for a few days -- about a week. Just don't unplug your battery or clear your engine module.

if you cannot wait search for the readiness procedure here (I have a pdf somewhere -- pm me if you cannot find it). that procedure will require that you drive in a controlled fashion, so depending on what traffic you get in your area it may not be the easiest thing to accomplish. It's a bit of a drag if you ask me.

that said, it's odd they'd fail you on the sai monitor only. it makes no sense for them to cut you off on that alone. note that faults in the SAI system could set the cel which is usually an automatic fail, but readiness monitors are an indication that the car has been driven long enough to hit all pre-conditions for the tests so that monitors can be set.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
It depends on what area you're in and possibly also the age of the car. We just got my buddies truck to pass with only the air pump not yet ready. (Chicago Illinois 2005 TrailBlazer)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sure about that? I don't live in CT, but most states require readiness to be set.
Scott, Yes because I just passed with SA not ready. It states it right on the emissions paperwork they give me. Keep in mind though, that these emissions standards can vary from state to state. Check with your states emmisions dept. For PA it is 800-265-0921.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figured I should update my thread. So I drove around last night for an hour and the SA readiness stayed at failed or incomplete. So I stopped by the inspection station to see if they'd pass it with the SA readiness not set, they said - yes one monitor can be failed or incomplete for a 2001 car as long as its not emissions (Not sure if other states are the same, this was in mass). So I said I'd bring the passat by for inspection in a day or so.

So, this morning I took the passat in for inspection and monitored the readiness on the way - easier than txting and driving, in my opinion (which I never do). Sure enough half a mile from the inspection garage, the readiness finally went to pass! So passat inspected with no issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rayj, if the emissions testing facility failed you for SA not ready and it was your only monitor not ready, then he did this in error, and you should let him know.
Thanks for the heads up TK guy.

Let us know how your VCDS cable works out for you, and what you can monitor in the SA system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts