Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, when i have bought my used passat several months ago, there was only one remote :???: That wasn't bothering me much until now i have decided to get another one and seems like stealership is charging over $150 for the remote itself :crazy: . My question is...since i can buy another uncut remote at ebay for reasonable price, is there any way i can program it myself, as far as I'm concerned to do so You need two remotes...(?) is there any way i can program second key by having only one?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Yes you can....But I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I lost my extra key and bought one off e-bay, but it was cut wrong ::DOH:: anyways, I still programmed it to where it can unlock and lock the doors. My key came with a sheet that showed how. It's something like put the good key in the ignition, the extra in the door, turn on the car, unlock and lock the extra.....it's weird, but it worked. See if you can find one on e-bay that shows you how to program it. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
536 Posts
You don't need two remotes, just two keys. I have a '99 and it came with the "banjo" remote. So I did the same thing you're suggesting. Bought a "switchblade" key off of eBay and had a dealer cut me a blank. Presto!

Here is the procedure (courtesy of Legion):

1) Get in your car and shut the doors.
2) Put your spare key in the ignition and turn it to accessory (just before starting it)
3) Wait about 5-7 seconds and open the driver door and get out.
4) Shut the door, put the key you want to program in the lock and turn to the right
5) Let the key return to the normal position
6) Press the unlock button X times. *
7) Wait 6 seconds. Press the unlock button once more.
9) Now the key in the driver side door is programmed. Remove the key and wait a few minutes and it should work.

* X dednotes keynumber, IE this is key #1, or #2, up to 4 I believe.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a ’99 as well. Short answer is: yes you can program a second remote to work with your car. HOWEVER, you must ensure that the remote will work with you car.

Go to the search page and type in the keywords: remote recode

Select all words for the search. You will receive many responses. Read thought the responses. I did this before I purchased mine through the classified section here on ClubB5. I had to pay the dealership to cut a new key, so it was still expensive for me. There is a write-up on ClubB5 where a member was able to rebuild the new remote (switchblade) and reuse his old key. Again, run a search.

The recoding is very simple. Most people include the instructions. If not, PM me and I will dig up my old instructions and summarize them in an e-mail. But, like I said, it is very simple. However, you must have the correct remote for your model-year car.

·
Registered
536 Posts
As Ooinn99 said, make sure you get the right remote. I heard the new style (with the wide key loop on the bottom) will not work on our cars.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So you can buy a switchblade, get the key cut, then program the switchblade to work with the car? How much does it all cost cuz those switchbladey thingies are cool lookin, and one of our remotes is all worn out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I recommend running the search and reading what other ClubB5er’s have posted. I know at least one of the posts specify the proper remote codes for the different model years. I do not recall the numbers and year models off the cuff.

If you are buying off of eBay, you want to ensure that the remote is the correct serial number (or whatever the proper name is) prior to bidding, else you will be stuck with a paperweight.

If the seller does not know, or does not respond, I would be leary and not bid. From what I remember, most of the sellers on eBay know that you need the remote serial number to ensure compatibility and post the number in the advertisement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.