Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Need some help to my problem getting second gear in. I have 2002 passat 1.8T b5 with a manual gearbox. Sometimes shifting from first to second gear i have to try 2-3 times befor the gear gets in place. The problem seems to be the first couple of times every time i take the car. The shift seems to be stuck just above the second gear place.

does anyone know what the problem could be?

:D hope you all understand me while trying to explain the problem

// loven

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If it is cold, that will happen. Changing the tranny fluid will help, but probably not eliminate the problem if it is due to the cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but why is it just the second gear thats f*cks up? if the oil was bad wouldn't all the gears be affected?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
but why is it just the second gear thats f*cks up? if the oil was bad wouldn't all the gears be affected?

:confused:
In Germany they are biased against 2nd gears...they want you to go from 1st to 3rd. Who knows.

I don't think they is anything wrong with your car.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Second is typically the most heavily beaten gear. In the long run, those synchros tend to fail first in many cars (older cars, not newer Passats...typically).

Changing fluid might help, but even down here in Alabama, as soon as it gets near or below freezing, the cold tranny tends to hate 1st and 2nd. Nothing unusual.

·
Registered
649 Posts
X3 My 01 V6 does the same thing, even when it gets near freezing... 1st and 2nd are a PIA to get into but as soon as the motor warms up everything is fine...
That seems to be the norm with the VW tranny...

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
don't know what fluid it takes, but I've heard redline manual tranny fluid works wonders for cold shifting.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
don't know what fluid it takes, but I've heard redline manual tranny fluid works wonders for cold shifting.
Seconded (I can't remember if it's MTF or MT-90). Lots of people swear by the OE stuff, too.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
Yeah, so do the Mazda guys...their stock fluid sux for cold weather on the Mazda6

·
Registered
351 Posts
i was just worryin about mine too. tough goin in and kinda pops out sometimes. 2nd in my mk3 jet did the same thing. maybe ill have to change the fluid sometime in the near future.

·
Banned
401 Posts
this is the sucking part of vw. When its really cold and u r shifting for the first time in 2nd is really hard to get it in:lol: :lol: . YOu can be a little patient or move the shift knob a little to the right towards the 4th (careful dont shift 4th) or just get the car up to 4000 rpm:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts