Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work/winter SUV has been a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, pretty loaded. I'm getting bored with it. At first I was VW Touareg shopping but am now looking at Porsche Cayenne's. They both share the same base chassis along with the Audi Q SUV's. I've been looking in the 10k price range and have so far seen only junk that rolls for that price. I guess I'll need to spend more to get one that is still decent. I'm looking for the base model with 6 cylinder engine.

Anyone have any experience with these? Comments? Advice?

·
Registered
26,969 Posts
Work/Station/Winter beaters should be boring, otherwise you feel bad about the way they are treated. If you get a nice car/suv to commute in, what is the point of a Passat as a 2nd car? Then you end up selling the Passat for something less practical but more fun.

For 10K, you will not find a Cayenne/Q7 or T-Reg worth buying.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Agreed. It's bizarre how the used car prices are out of control. Not long ago, $10G got you a practically new, used car of any make. Now 200,000 mile Accord's are going for damn near that.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Craigs list North Jersey shows a half dozen Cayennes below $10k, 04 05, this month.
You made me look at Craig's List too.

Hard to tell who's a dealer and who's private anymore on C/L but this one is dealer listed. 05 V8 S. 92,000 miles $13,900. Dealers ranging from $11-$16,000 give or take a couple of years and miles. This one is under private seller but I think its a dealer: 2006 V6 146,000 miles $8900.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove 3 so far in the 2004-2006 and below 10k range. All three were in need of a lot of attention. I'm supposed to look at a higher priced 2010 tomorrow and also an 08 when it gets returned from loaner duty. I'm hoping those will be more promising.

I'm looking for the base model with the 6 cylinder. I'm more concerned with gas mileage then 0-60 times. The base models should still handle pretty well and be able to hold an adequate highway cruising speed. My current truck is only rated at 195 hp and that's fine for the way I use it.

·
Registered
26,969 Posts
Craigs list North Jersey shows a half dozen Cayennes below $10k, 04 05, this month.
What year was hurricane Sandy again? We get "flooded" with cars from down south after one hits. On most, you open the door and can smell the mold.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On most, you open the door and can smell the mold.
That's a good thing to keep in mind. Shopping in my area right now, it's winter so the cars are basically being "refrigerated" when not in use so those smells will be reduced. I did sit in a Mercedes SUV the other day and it smelled like dank carpet. I just assumed that was a result of the detailers recently shampooing the carpet. Now I'm not so sure. lol.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I test drove 6 or 7 so far. Today I phoned in a deposit on one of the cars I test drove Saturday. I already spoke with my insurance agent about it and have that all ready to go. Now I need to get back up there and bring the thing home. Unfortunately, this dealer is about an hours drive North of me in Wisconsin.

Am much excite!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I thought I wanted a Touareg/Cayenne/Q7, then I started working in Parts and I saw the prices of brakes...that alone scared me off.

All the power to you, my friend. Can't wait to see pictures! :thumbup:

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a call this morning about another Cayenne I was interested in but was out as a loaner so I never saw it. I went and drove it today and l like it better then the one I put a deposit on. Better color, better rims, new tires, Bose sound, dealer in the city and not an hours drive away, similar miles, condition and price range.

I called the first dealer and explained my situation and they refunded my deposit without argument.

I paid the majority on the latest one, signed the paperwork and will take care of the balance when I pick it up Friday after they attend to a few details.

Pix and specs in the link...

http://autoboutiquechicago.com/InventoryDetail?id=A25598

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the one I was going to get but pulled out of after I saw this other one...

Cars for Sale: 2008 Porsche Cayenne in Racine, WI 53405: Sport Utility Details - 409154614 - Autotrader

Both respectable examples and not too crazy priced. Way better then the rolling baskets of problems I was seeing at 8-10K. I also drove a private seller Cayenne real similar to these two with a bit lower mileage but he was asking 19K and only negotiating down a little. His ad pix are from before winter, so I know he's been sitting on that one for a while. 2008 Porsche Cayenne

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Original wheels? 235.65.17 on 7.5 rims?
I'll get a build sheet eventually. They are Porsche rims and I like how they look. They're probably the factory rims. It has new tires but I forget the make/model/size.

My Passat is for acceleration and extreme sport driving. This one is work/winter/comfort. It's not one of the fast models but I'm good with that because I can't afford to buy or feed one of the fast ones. It should perform adequately for how I'll be using it. It handles and rides better then the Cherokee.

If plans go right, I'll be taking it on a trip to Wisconsin this weekend. That'll give me a chance to spend time in it and get used to it a bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts