Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as I was cleaning the car, I noticed a big HOLE burned in the passenger seat. I ask my wife and she said "yeah, a couple of weeks ago when I was driving I smelled a burning smell and noticed the passenger seat heater was on 5. I turned the heater off and the smell went away so I didn't mention it." I have no idea how long the heater was turned up to 5, but geez, it shouldn't BURN the seat just because it's left on too long, right? Or did I miss the part in the owner's manual where it says "1=lukewarm, 3=toasty, 5=BURNS THE SEAT"?

So now the serious questions: (1) should this be covered under warranty for a 14 month old 2003? (2) if not, how expensive will it be to fix? Do they have to replace the whole seat?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,568 Posts
There's a thread running on the 'Tex (Passat section) on this very topic. Some guy there has been waiting for weeks for VWoA to get the parts to fix his seat. Another member there had a seat burn a hole through her skirt.

PS: Someone suggested that if the dealer couldn't/won't fix it, go to the dealer and park next to their Phaeton, then leaving it run with the seat heaters on "5". :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Some of the older Passats had this problem, but they fixed it with the B5.5, they lowered the temp on the heaters so only 3-5 really do anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Re: Seat heater burns hole in seat

invariant said:
Today as I was cleaning the car, I noticed a big HOLE burned in the passenger seat. I ask my wife and she said "yeah, a couple of weeks ago when I was driving I smelled a burning smell and noticed the passenger seat heater was on 5. I turned the heater off and the smell went away so I didn't mention it." I have no idea how long the heater was turned up to 5, but geez, it shouldn't BURN the seat just because it's left on too long, right? Or did I miss the part in the owner's manual where it says "1=lukewarm, 3=toasty, 5=BURNS THE SEAT"?

So now the serious questions: (1) should this be covered under warranty for a 14 month old 2003? (2) if not, how expensive will it be to fix? Do they have to replace the whole seat?
You have a 3 year 36k mile warranty. I think this should NEVER have happened but I heard on the "other" forum that this happened on a Passat and the dealership replaced the seat. I would insist on that and that BOTH seats, seat heaters and switches are all carefully checked and replaced if necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Re: Seat heater burns hole in seat

Sullie said:
invariant said:
Today as I was cleaning the car, I noticed a big HOLE burned in the passenger seat. I ask my wife and she said "yeah, a couple of weeks ago when I was driving I smelled a burning smell and noticed the passenger seat heater was on 5. I turned the heater off and the smell went away so I didn't mention it." I have no idea how long the heater was turned up to 5, but geez, it shouldn't BURN the seat just because it's left on too long, right? Or did I miss the part in the owner's manual where it says "1=lukewarm, 3=toasty, 5=BURNS THE SEAT"?

So now the serious questions: (1) should this be covered under warranty for a 14 month old 2003? (2) if not, how expensive will it be to fix? Do they have to replace the whole seat?
You have a 3 year 36k mile warranty. I think this should NEVER have happened but I heard on the "other" forum that this happened on a Passat and the dealership replaced the seat. I would insist on that and that BOTH seats, seat heaters and switches are all carefully checked and replaced if necessary.
Since your car is so new, I would think that it should be covered under warrenty. I think you actually about about 50k on your warrenty, but I may be wrong, mine is only 24k. IIRC, it is the switch that controls the heat levels for the heaters, so you probably have a faulty one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm due for 15k oil change next week anyway. Hopefully the dealer will not give me any grief about fixing this. Otherwise, I'll be parking next to the Phaeton, as suggested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
697 Posts
What is really odd is that it is in the side bolster. On my seats (99) the heating elements are just in the center bottom and back inserts and nothing on the bolsters. Just seems like a odd placement for the burn mark :suspicio:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,875 Posts
You have to be covered under the warranty on this one, specially when the car is only 14 month old, it is probably due to a bad assembly or bracket, good luck , but they should fix it, if they don't go after VWoA, writing letters works, my friend did it :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Some of the older Passats had this problem, but they fixed it with the B5.5, they lowered the temp on the heaters so only 3-5 really do anything.
On my 2004, 1 and 2 definitely do something. Maybe we notice it more here in Chicago!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
Thats a side bolster. There are no heating elements there. Time to talk to the wife and get the real story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
I agree with Mr_Mike, I replaced the upholstery on my B5 and the heating elements are 100% in the center of the seat ... i think the thread on the 'tex must be regarding something different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mr_Mike said:
Thats a side bolster. There are no heating elements there. Time to talk to the wife and get the real story.
Well, I can see a metal wire running through the center of the hole, which I assume is a heating element. In the photo you can see the burn is zig-zag shaped, just like the wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
invariant said:
Mr_Mike said:
Thats a side bolster. There are no heating elements there. Time to talk to the wife and get the real story.
Well, I can see a metal wire running through the center of the hole, which I assume is a heating element. In the photo you can see the burn is zig-zag shaped, just like the wire.
How thick is this wire? Can you get a closer photo? The wire might just be part of the seat support.

Firstly, more than one person here has stated that the heater is only in the center. Secondly, it doesn't make sense since the side bolster gets much more flex than the center, you would have a tendency to damage the heating elements. Thus, the conclusion that the story isn't correct.

A better picture may help clear this up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Make sure to go to the NTSB website and file a complaint. THey have started and investigation into this as there have been so many reports from Jetta/Passat owners and if there are enough complaints it will force a recall.

I have heard of this on both B5's and B5.5's
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top