Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after hours of searching i know all about the differences between the k04 and the k03s. and i now know that the turbo in my car is a k04-15. (honestly went and got the box out and typed the part# it into bw website) i had the swap done years ago by a Indy shop when i had no idea there was more than one k04.

my question is can you swap the k04-2x CHRA into the k04-15 without machining?

this is all i found on the subject and it wasn't answered

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42-club-b5/278576-k04-015-question.html

from anther thread
Do they just swap CHRA's or do they have to machine the comp housings?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I think the K04-23 flows more, the components that allow it to do so, I am not sure of.

I think those are the turbos that come on the S4s...?
Also, I think the charge pipe on the compressor housing is curved and longer, not straight and short like the K04-15. Pulling this straight off what I can recall, so don't hold me to it. lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the K04-23 flows more, the components that allow it to do so, I am not sure of.

I think those are the turbos that come on the S4s...?
Also, I think the charge pipe on the compressor housing is curved and longer, not straight and short like the K04-15. Pulling this straight off what I can recall, so don't hold me to it. lol
S4's come with K03's stock.... K04's make for alot more fun... ;)

No CHRA's can not be interchanged, why not just replace it with the right part?

Dont cheap out on your car. It will bite you in the ass eventually.

Cheap now = Twice as expensive, you end up doing it twice.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
ReStyling said:
No CHRA's can not be interchanged, why not just replace it with the right part?
That's odd. I could have sworn I'd seen companies slap CHRA's, such as Garrett's, into Mitsu or KKK-style housings...

Dont cheap out on your car. It will bite you in the ass eventually. Cheap now = Twice as expensive, you end up doing it twice.
Going the wrong way with this. The OP is probably looking to upgrade his car from what he already has, not repair it. And there's TONS of companies hoping that this line of thinking will prevail. Cheap parts might bite you in the ass, but expensive ones WILL bite you in the wallet. Then they may fail anyway! ;)

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
Going the wrong way with this. The OP is probably looking to upgrade his car from what he already has, not repair it. And there's TONS of companies hoping that this line of thinking will prevail. Cheap parts might bite you in the ass, but expensive ones WILL bite you in the wallet. Then they may fail anyway! ;)
I've been testing this cheap parts theory recently, so far I've struck out on a clutch kit and pretty bad luck installing another part (tube manifold) but the manifold is pretty dope. just hard to install:thumbup:

Currently testing the $300 Ko4-015. gone 1000+ miles so far *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol how is this a "cheap" way? A Borg Warner k04-15 housing with a professionally balanced K04-2x CHRA. that would be all OEM and custom using the original manifold and original location of all parts. lol last i checked that's about as opposite of cheap aftermarket as it gets.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Some people reason, "You're not spending $2500 on a 'proper' turbo kit, so you're cheaping out. Nickel and diming yourself to death!" ;)

Even if it does work, I can't see it giving you enough of an extra increase in power to make it worthwhile, Brad. At this point, you should be looking a little bigger.

VW-Psst, I meant 'cheap' as in 'not made by VW, Dahlback, or someplace BIG like that', not 'made by 12 year olds in China for a handfull of rice'. ;) Glad to hear it's working out for you so far. Like Sleeper said, with that stuff you'll get 3 bad ones for every 7 good ones... Did you do anything extra to it before putting it into service?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.