Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I seafoamed my engine today. I wasn't expecting much smoke since I always use good gas and there's never a day that it doesn't see 5500rpm. However there was still a good deal of smoke.

There was some smoke coming out of the engine. Not a lot but I didn't know if that was normal or not?

http://blackdawgg.shackspace.com/Seafoamsmall.wmv
I recently seafoamed mine. How much did you use in yours? I used about 1/3 of a can, and got a little less smoke than that.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
what is seafoam and what's it supposed to do? I did enjoy watching the clouds move around in the sky. nice angle!!!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
its for when you're being chased, you can just flip a switch and have the seafoam pour into your engine and it will create a trail of smoke that you can disappear into to escape your followers

but its really a way of cleaning your engine and fuel lines of crap that builds up over time

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I recently seafoamed the car, if we have a 1pt. poland spring bottle for example, I pour it up about an inch and a half. Is that one third of a pint? LOL
I'm not a good measure-er.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
There's oil in Seafoam, so it will always smoke. It's basically various solvents mixed with a bit of light oil to lube up any parts that might need it.

Make sure to shut the engine off right after applying the seafoam, and let it sit for 10min. or so before burning it off. You want to give it time to dissolve the goop.

Anyone looking for a foolproof way to apply the stuff can look here:

The Black Seafoam Apparatus -or- How to Seafoam any Engine

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
According to the back of the can, you should do it every oil change. I'm pretty sure if everybody seafoamed their engines every 5000 miles, though, you could walk outside to get the newspaper in the morning and you'd have skin cancer by the time you got to the end of the driveway.

Probably every 50kmi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts