Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using for trunk lid screws and finishing caps? These are metric or something?

The original dealer metal screw heads were too large to use finishing caps, so last time I installed my plates I used nylon screws (so I could put nice caps on the screw heads) that were way too tight, and now I can't get them out at all. Do I drill them out or melt them out with a soldering iron?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Altair4 said:
I got the stainless steel screws with the allen wrench head from yosteve.com. They come with a spacer to hold the plate off the car and prevent rattles. Works great, looks good.

NICE! Just ordered me a set! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I love it. Yosteveshop packages up 4 M6 screw with some rubber grommits and an allen wrench and calls it a kit. I love internet business. This shows how simple a business can be.... Buy screws and grommits in bulk, count out 4 and put them in a baggy, sell them for a profit. I am not saying it is a bad deal; I just wish I thought of it!

I am sure my local hardware store has socket head, metric, stainless screws.

·
Registered
547 Posts
jaero said:
I love it. Yosteveshop packages up 4 M6 screw with some rubber grommits and an allen wrench and calls it a kit. I love internet business. This shows how simple a business can be.... Buy screws and grommits in bulk, count out 4 and put them in a baggy, sell them for a profit. I am not saying it is a bad deal; I just wish I thought of it!

Yea, but taking the time to find it is a beeeoootch!! Point, click, receive..... :bow:

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
DogWitaB5 said:
jaero said:

Yea, but taking the time to find it is a beeeoootch!! Point, click, receive..... :bow:
Exactly...the beauty of internet shopping. BTW, Yosteve is a member here and does occasional GB's on his microfibre towels. Nice guy to do business with, too.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool! Yeah I got the nylon screws out with some liquid wrench and a pair of pliers.

I went to the dealer and they gave me some screws which are too large, but, strangely, these do fit in the extra holes I have that are too widely spaced for US plates. I also went to PepBoys and bought a variety of packaged plate hardware none of which fits.

·
Registered
300 Posts
jaero said:

I know, don't I rock? Actually, it's more like this. I use it and find it cheaper in bulk. Problem is, I don't need it in bulk, so I sell the rest. Everybody's happy! Especially since I give free shipping on even the smallest of orders. Microfiber towels is my business, though, always has been. The rest is just stuff along the way.

Fastener kits were born cause my screws rusted and got stuck and my license plate vibrated against my trunk and caused scratches. I was not happy. Actually, I don't get a ton of Passat business like I thought I would. Why anyone would want to continue to have rusty screws on their Passat or VW or Audi, is beyond me :crazy:

If only I can find a solution for the bottom of our cars during an oil change. Can anyone source industrial snaps? :D

If anyone's got any suggestions feel free to e-mail 'em.

And Altair 4, your free towel is in the mail ;)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know, zip ties?

These metric screws aren't that easy to find, so YoSteve is providing a good service. Hell, the screws the VW dealer gave me today don't fit at all!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Those damn non-stainless screws that come with the car are a huge pain in the ass. I had to change my plates after 3 years, so the screws were completely rusted, and now I've got one headless screw stuck inside the trunklid. Had to use a pair of freaking vice grips to remove them, after soaking the screws with lubricant for a day. And I still pulled the head off of one of them. How hard is it to use some plastic or stainless screws, VW? :mad:

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Triumph said:
Those damn non-stainless screws that come with the car are a huge pain in the ass. I had to change my plates after 3 years, so the screws were completely rusted, and now I've got one headless screw stuck inside the trunklid. Had to use a pair of freaking vice grips to remove them, after soaking the screws with lubricant for a day. And I still pulled the head off of one of them. How hard is it to use some plastic or stainless screws, VW? :mad:
I don't know why any car company would use any plate screw that would rust. The damn thing is visible to everyone who follows you, you see it everytime you open the trunk/hatch. What could the price difference be in that amount of bulk order, a quarter of a cent? It's stupid. Virtually every car I see has rusted plate fasteners, 'cept mine! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Altair 4
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing