Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a screw in my rear tire and it's leading to a slow leak of air. Any advice on what to do? The tire has about 7000 miles on it.

Should I get it plugged, use a sealant? Anybody else deal with this recently? I guess I"ll also post in the Wheel & Tire forum as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If it's not in the sidewall go and get it fixed. If it's in the sidewall you can't repair it.

Discount Tire fixes flats for no charge here in CO. Call them and as if you have DT in your state. Even if not, the flat will cost you $10 - $15

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I've plugged it myself in the past just because I am more careful than most technicians out there. I just don't want to pay someone $10-15 and come to find out they've scratched my $300+ wheel. :mad:

You can buy a tire repair kit (plugs, adhesive, insert tool and boring tool/file) for about $20. It'll pay for itself specially if you have multiple vehicles. You need a good cutter to snip the extra plug sticking out.

If you have a tire compressor / pump handy then you can repair your tires on the go. I always do when we go off-roading. BTW, you need to check the repaired area for leaks after you've aired it (soapy water or spit will do).

If you're concerned for safety / high performance driving, then have it patched from the inside. But for everyday, point A-B driving without 3 digits sustained speeds, the patch should be fine.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the patch seems to be the way to go, but i do drive at 100+ sometimes. should i be concerned about the reliability of it?

the screw is in the tread, not the sidewall thankfully.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I had a screw in my tire and they plugged it. They didn't even have to pull the tire. Some places will plug and patch, but then you have the added risk they could damage your rim pulling the tire off and not mounting it back in the same spot.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I have plugged 2 wheels already with the said kit. One on the Caravan and the other from the Passat 15s. NOOOO Problem. I have driven the van to Virginia beach and back from NJ. I have driven the passat past 100mph (rarely) but mostly 80s to 90s. no problem. Very easy to do and way better than having a tire shop doing the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.