Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just had our first booboo with our new Passat, seems a curb didn't like our rims and decided to lash out. Anyway, I was wondering what the paint/coating was on the alloy rims (2004.5, 8 spoke, stock)?

I haven't seen it yet (wife just called, understandably upset), so I thought first we would clean it up and go from there.

I think it is just a scrape, the rim is fine otherwise.

I did a quick search, but couldn't find the specifics (I can't even find the rim style anywhere)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Just get a dremel drill and sand it gentaly, just abrely touch the surface and snad it down, then get a compound that polishes Chrome, which I am assuming that is what your rims are, and then buuf it out!

My friend scraped my chrome exhaust tips and buffed them right out!

PM me you need more details

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think the OE wheels are alloy. And do the 2004.5's have new wheel design. If it is the 2001/2002+ wellingtons, then you counted one spoke less :p

I read, somewhere maybe in this forum that you may have to paint the wheel (spray paint the damaged area) to cover those scratches up after sanding them like Rich mentioned. A good DIY post with pics, let me see if I can find it. Hope the scratches aren't too bad.

I haven't sanded mine cause I am still learning how to stay away from curbs. Especially while taking U turns when cars are coming fast at you from both directions :nervous:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There are lots of places that do wheel repair. They generally range in price from $75 per wheel and go up from there. Check your local yellow pages or talk to your local tire/wheel store for recommendations.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have slight curbage on 2 of my Wellingtons. I use/d silver nail polish. I forget the brand and exact color. You can't tell unless you are foot or so away and really look for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah those pics have been down for a while...

D.Passat00 said:
safetyfast said:
Go to autopia.org Under "Learn" there is a section on repairing porsche alloy wheels. The repair for a VW is identical, as the same paint is used for both.
is it this one?

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=30

the pics don't seem to be showing up :(
Its too bad since the pics are helpful -- never could understand why the guy didn't take the rim off the car to repair it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.