Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the auto show the other day and while there are many car companies on display I found that Scion took a much more serious approach in their display area by offering music, lights, and displays that no one else had. What do you folks think of them so far.

I myself really like the XB but its certainly a love or hate design

·
Registered
313 Posts
The new TC is quite an attractive car IMO and I have a feeling it'll do really well in the tuner market.

Time will tell, but I think Toyota has nailed it so far :) Props to any company that can get an 18 year old and an 80 year old to drive cars under the same brand plate (especially when there's only two of them).

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Ya, I think the XB has some great potential for a street cruiser. Not really in the performance end though. I thought of buying one, but the problem is that if it ever needed any warranty work I'd have to have shpd back CA to have it worked on. The Toyota dealers here told me they wouldn't be able to work on one unless they had one of their techs get certified to work on a Scion, not to mention the cost of diagnostic equipment. Whatever!! It'll be another 3yrs before they actually carry them in my area, they told me they'll be offered in the East US next, then central US.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
IMHO, the xB is fugly! But I could see myself in a TC!

The concept of personalizing your car is cool but most of the Scion's I see are stock or stock-ish.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
S_Klass said:
IMHO, the xB is fugly! But I could see myself in a TC!

The concept of personalizing your car is cool but most of the Scion's I see are stock or stock-ish.
Why wouldn't you just buy the Toy Matrix, it's basically the same as the TC but has better performance. I guess that's one thing that disappoints me about Scion. They should have cars that are their own. Even if they're owned by Toyota.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts

Article linkage

I like it! :thumbup:

Power will be delivered through an all-aluminum 2.4L four-cylinder engine. Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) is a given and that combination will produce 160 horsepower. A choice of five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmissions makes the tC a potential roadside bruiser or just a boulevard cruiser.

If the power from the naturally aspirated four banger isn't enough, a factory-optional supercharger kit will bring the 2.4L to a tasty 200 horsepower making the Scion a turn-key tuner car. Of course, the force induction blower can be purchased with the vehicle, or added later.

Standard features will include the panorama moonroof (think Toyota's version of Skyview), larger-than-average 17-inch alloy wheels with graphite appearance finish, air conditioning, cruise control, a high-output Pioneer sound system, power windows, door locks and mirrors, and a center console with armrest.

No price has been announce, but we hear, "Well under $20,000," from Scion PR. If the first two models are any indication of Scion's pricing habits we see the tC coming in just under $16,000 for a manual transmission while the slushbox will raise the price about a grand. A fully loaded tC will likely run no more than $18,000. More to come, most definitely.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thumber said:
Why wouldn't you just buy the Toy Matrix, it's basically the same as the TC but has better performance.
Guessing you are thinking the TC is the Xa - the non-boxy model they came out with originally? Sullie posted pics of the TC. I don't much understand the appeal of the xA myself other than possibly the price (i have no idea)?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I don't really like the cartoonish box on wheels of the Xb, but I like the Xa which looks like a slimmer and cheaper version of the Matrix.

The tC is a pleasant surprise. The styling is tasteful but bit on the bland side (should age well), but I like the unique features such as the panorama sunroof and the wide range of optional features like the turbo charger. All of that at an affordable price. It will definately be a strong competitor to the Civic, Neon, Lancer, Cavelier, and Ion.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Thumber said:
Ya, I think the XB has some great potential for a street cruiser. Not really in the performance end though. I thought of buying one, but the problem is that if it ever needed any warranty work I'd have to have shpd back CA to have it worked on. The Toyota dealers here told me they wouldn't be able to work on one unless they had one of their techs get certified to work on a Scion, not to mention the cost of diagnostic equipment. Whatever!! It'll be another 3yrs before they actually carry them in my area, they told me they'll be offered in the East US next, then central US.
Apparently your dealer is on crack. The nation wide roll out will be complete by June of this year.

http://www.scion.com/possess/possess_availability.html

I my self also like the xB

-Nick

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
SweetPickles said:
Thumber said:
Why wouldn't you just buy the Toy Matrix, it's basically the same as the TC but has better performance.
Guessing you are thinking the TC is the Xa - the non-boxy model they came out with originally? Sullie posted pics of the TC. I don't much understand the appeal of the xA myself other than possibly the price (i have no idea)?
Yup my bad the XA is what I was thinkin of

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
curtis13 said:
yeah, optional. that usually means...."for more money you can have it".
And your point is???

with 160hp and 160 lb/tq and a curb weight of 2800 lbs or less the TC should be a sporty little car.

-Nick

·
Registered
432 Posts
my point is, at the base price, it is underpowered.

then you throw out....well what about the supercharged version.

and i say, that would cost more!

what's not to understand?

pretty simple to me. :roll:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Thumber said:
SweetPickles said:
Thumber said:
Yup my bad the XA is what I was thinkin of
The Matrix is quite a bit bigger than the xA. The xA is essentially the hatch version of the Echo. Really, the xA's biggest competitor is the Mini Cooper. (Not the "s" version just the base).... But even there it is really more comparible to the Mini One which is not offered in the US.

Sort of like, if you want a really small commuter hatch then you can choose between the Mini and the xA. If you have a little more bucks to spend you get the Mini. If not then you get the xA.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts