Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everybody......i'm doing a paper on this topic for school and i need some help. Would anyone happen to have a good site to go too that has good info. i've already been on Google but really can't find what i'm looking for :weirdo:

TIA :)

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Watch Armaggedon. That movie is all Pseudo-Science.

(Otherwise, I'm not really sure what type of things you are refering to on "pseudo-science"... can you give an example?)

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All for the info :thumbup:

Halfgreek, this is the question for the paper

Why in the midst of an era fully rooted in the scientific model people still want to believe what is fundamentally unproven?

so i guess its something in general.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Because they can.

Ultimate knowledge is usually a let-down for all but the hardcore scientific types. The hardcore science people rejoice in knowing models and plans and better ways to see things, but most others simply don't want to know. Answers are frequently ends, and most people are woefully unprepared for the end to come.

You are looking for things like spanish fly - supposedly an erotic, but not much of anything proven.

Ok, the ultimate in psuedoscience - the fluoridated water study. Search the ADA for it. Gee, why did the poor black kids in the inner city with no toothbrushes or oral hygene plans or fluoride in their water have more cavities than the rich white kids with toothbrushes oral hygene plans and fluoride in their water? Talk about completely BS statistical conclusions!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
go read Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World" - that book is all about science vs pseudo-science.

Sagan's big hang up was with people believing stories about UFOs and close encounters when there has yet to be any hard scientific evidence to back it up.

Good book if you're interested in that stuff.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
atomicalex said:
Silicone breast implants is a good one.
he said he wants help with his school paper; and you're telling him to 'go have a good time' ??

;) ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
PanaSSat24 said:
Why in the midst of an era fully rooted in the scientific model people still want to believe what is fundamentally unproven?
my short answer:

people can only understand answers at the level where they ask the question.

- if a child asks a question, you answer them at that level. you can't give more detail to the asker than they are capable of understanding.

- if an adult asks a question, you also answer appropriately.

- note that there is quite a variation in that range.

- note also that that range has not changed over the ages (from thousands of years ago, thru today).

my conclusion: the era, current or past, is not relevant. dumber people understand less than less-dumber people ;) those who can handle science and rational thought, handle it. those that can't reach that far, find something, er, uhm, more suitable for their digestion. was true a thousand years ago and continues to be true, today.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
are you asking for EXAMPLES of pseudo-science or why people BELIEVE in it?

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
What about "psychics vs. passed-along-intelligence (aka investigation)" in police work?

Palm reading, tarot card reading, etc. are all pseudo-sciences, so just pick something like that and stack it up against it's "real science" counter part as they're both used in the same field sometimes.

Give reasons as to why pseudosciences are highly desired at certain times of need. Maybe because the people want to hear certain answers? Or want to try it as a last resort?

-Harry

·
Registered
696 Posts
Go to a news-stand and get either 'Skeptic' magazine or 'Skeptical Inquirer' magazine. Great reading material... also check out www.skeptic.com
Showtime (cable channel) has a good series called 'bullshit' thats in re-reuns. New season starts soon!!! :thumbup: :bow: Goodluck

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes linux, I never thought i'd agree with you on anything.. But Bullshit! is an excellent show !! :bow: :bow: I cant wait for the new season!!

My favorite part of last season: when that woman went to the "hypnotherapist" thinking she could enlarge her breasts just by 'thinking about it' :lol: :shock: haha Its unbelievable what insane crap people believe in

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
F. Monger said:
Yes linux, I never thought i'd agree with you on anything.. But Bullshit! is an excellent show !! :bow: :bow: I cant wait for the new season!!

My favorite part of last season: when that woman went to the "hypnotherapist" thinking she could enlarge her breasts just by 'thinking about it' :lol: :shock: haha Its unbelievable what insane crap people believe in
well, I know for a fact, that I can make some things grow just by thinking about it...

(ah - nevermind!)

;) ;)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
F. Monger said:
Go to a news-stand and get either 'Skeptic' magazine or 'Skeptical Inquirer' magazine. Great reading material... also check out www.skeptic.com
Showtime (cable channel) has a good series called 'bullshit' thats in re-reuns. New season starts soon!!! :thumbup: :bow: Goodluck
Good Link! just for the sake of posing the alternate view check out Fortean Times. It's all about weird phenomena and such.

Psuedo Science is largely whimsical. By that Imean it's whim based. If an idea requires you to have faith in it beyond testable, statistical fact it is pseudo science. It's everywhere. It also sells well. From religion to weight loss it has been used to sell things forever.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If you wanna know anything about justice and pseudo-justice, I am willing to share my wealth of knowledge on this topic. All gained hands on (burned to the crisp hands for that matter).

The explanation about willingness, or motives one has to "believe" in something is carried one step further in the justice system. The beliefs, no matter how misguided or twisted, are then used in decisions that may severely impact the "non-believer". The consequence may be that the "non-believer" might have had true and honorable beliefs that was guiding him through life, and which are then seen by him as non-consequential based on his experiences with pseudo-justice, and so society slowly declines. Shakespeare was right regarding lawyers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
Boris
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing